Towing a travel trailer-inflate to max sidewall psi?

If you figure the front tires on a truck carry the engine and a portion of the trans, and the rear is lighter, then 600 lbs of tongue weight might actually bring the rear weight to equal the front. Even with p metrics I don’t think I’ve ever tried more than 44 lbs. in our gen 1 tundra; on the f150 they are fine at 38, which is all day long and just like we go to Publix.

the stiffer sidewall is helpful dealing with trailer sway, especially when I was running 70 series tires. The current truck has 65 series and 18” wheels. 20” wheels admittedly had a tighter feel towing, but I changed to 18s for other reasons.

my current TT is only 19’ single axle, so it’s not a hoss to pull. Longer trailers certainly add more rock and sway. Our tundra struggled with the larger 22’ double axle, and 44 psi made me feel better keeping the rear dialed in, though the best adjustments were made with the WDH and anti-sway member.

id think the raptor did fine?

m

The Raptor did great. 9 mpg on the way down at 65mph and 10.5 on the way home. I ran 42-43 psi in the tires and had no issues. I used the adaptive cruise control and like how the following distances are longer when using tow haul mode vs. normal, sport, etc. I think I’d want more truck for anything larger but for our use this was a great trailer. Keystone Passport GT 2600BH. We just got back and the kids had a blast.

Back