Toutist in Canada, oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am traveling to Canada this summer. I will need the change my oil during my trip. I will be going from Southern California to Canada and eventually up to Alaska. BTW this is on a Motorcycle.

Are there places for me to take my used oil in Canada, specifically Vancouver? Do they have some laws that would prevent me from doing it myself?

This may seem like a silly question but Canada is a different country and I am not familiar with their Autoparts stores and enviro laws.

Canadians are very enviro-aware. Unless you can properly dispose of the used oil, best to have a cycle shop do it for you. (When I attended the Vancouver World's Fair, I saw a little old lady pick up a gum wrapper a presumably American tourist had just flicked to the ground at a park and scold the purpetrator with a stern, "We don't do that up here!") A Yank dumping used motor oil carelessly would likely result in the Canadian parliament rescinding its general ban on handguns and nuclear weapons on the spot. (Don't even think about bringing a handgun along with you. That's a Class A federal felony up there and it will be confiscated at the border checkpoint if you try to smuggle it in. But, Canajuns really are nice people, even if they do talk kinda funny, eh?...
wink.gif
)

[ April 19, 2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Huhwhye

What kind of bike do you have.
I have several customers who run HD and Honda Goldwings that have gone on extended trips, 12,000km (7500 miles) and didn't change their oil till they got home.

Excuse me?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H: Canadians are very enviro-aware. Unless you can properly dispose of the used oil, best to have a cycle shop do it for you. A Yank dumping used motor oil carelessly would likely result in the Canadian parliament rescinding its general ban on handguns and nuclear weapons on the spot.

Hence the reason I asked the question. Who said anything about dumping? I am a little insulted that you even suggested it. Read my post again. See 'round here we have designated places to take used oil, any autoparts store for example, but you knew that. I was asking if they had something similar in Canada.

Suggesting I take it to a shop doesn't answer my question.

quote:

(Don't even think about bringing a handgun along with you. That's a Class A federal felony up there and it will be confiscated at the border checkpoint if you try to smuggle it in.

Now who said anything about guns? Besides, you should do a little research on that because that is not true. I'm not doing it, but it can be done if you follow the rules see
Canada Firearms Centre for the regulations.

Don, I'm well aware of that. To answer your question I ride a BMW. But I will be doing much more than that and it will need to be changed sometime during the trip. Just my house to Anchorage is 3800 miles, and we will not be stopping there. I will be gone for a minimum of 2 months, possible 3 months. I will be touring all around, taking the least direct route I can think of. I'm Planning for 10k miles, and I might do more.

Huhwhye,

I have traveled to Canada and Alaska by Motorcycle several times. I really loved Alberta and the Rockies and Beautiful British Columbia!!! Just fell in love with it!

I had the same situation. If you feel uncomfortable leaving things unplanned, then get your bike serviced in Vancouver, BC. The costs will be cheaper in the USA. Find a place in Washington State, before you cross into Canada. A Bike Shop or a Truck Stop, if you use an HDEO like Delo of Rotella. A small shop you find in a small town works fine if your on a bike. Buy the oil from them and they will let you change it and use their drain pan. Did that many times with my Goldwing. A Harley, depending on what oil you use is just as easy.

Enjoy the trip! I wish I was up there with you!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
See 'round here we have designated places to take used oil, any autoparts store for example, but you knew that. I was asking if they had something similar in Canada.

FWIW The automotive sections in the Canadian Tire stores that I've frequented [in Ontario] seem to take used oil/coolant etc. without any hassle/receipt etc.

I imagine you would receive the same treatment in Vancouver; here's a link that might be helpful explaining the situation in B.C., with a toll-free phone number for finding the closest collection facility :
B.C. Used Oil Stewardship Program

I was not singling YOU out. My comments were intended for anyone reading your post who may be contemplating a visit to Canada. (Yes, there ARE clods who stop by the side of a highway, drain their engine oil, refill, and drive off leaving an unsightly, toxic, and, accident inviting mess for their host to clean up. If that shoe doesn't fit YOU, don't presume you were told to wear it.) My gun specific comments stand. I noted specifically hand guns - meaning pistolivers that can be easily concealed for who knows what activities that would be unbecoming a guest in any country, business, or home. Canadian authorities are a bit more understanding regarding hunting rifles and shotguns since legitimate sport activities are an ongoing source of tourism revenue in the Canadian economy. But, in NO case will an American showing up at the border be allowed to pass through with or even retain his weapon if he attempts to bring it in undeclared and/or failing to file the proper paperwork with Canadian border authorities. If you find general straight talk intended for anyone reading your post personally insulting, then I guess that's just too bad. Have a nice trip.

Your gun comments do not stand regarding handguns. They can be carried into Canada if you follow their regulations, which are many, but it can be done. People do it all the time. Go to the link I posted, or not, I don't care. But you shouldn't talk so confidently about something you obviously don't know about.

general straight talk?
lol.gif
You assume people on this board would dump oil on the roadside. OK

Huhwhye,

You will be riding a BMW. Not too many dealers, Good Motor! What oil do you use? Will you be able to find it easily, or do you use something special?

Canadian Tire was mentioned as an oil depot. If you choose to use a CT store, you can do the whole job there. I used one in Moosejaw, SK. on my return back to MI.

One suggestion, start your tour with NEW Tires. If they only have a few thousand miles and are recently mounted, you should be OK. The roads up North, are paved with coarser aggregates and chew up tires on a bike. You may need to replace your tires before your return, they will be more expensive. You'll need them when you get back home anyway. Enjoy the ride!
patriot.gif

Try Wal-Marts...they will also take use oil. You might even ask to use one of their oil pans. Have a safe trip...enjoy beautiful BC.

canada.gif

Don't get carried off by the big *ZZ mosquitoes !
Heard each one can suck a teaspoon of blood, get a thousand teaspoons taken away, won't be much left!
wink.gif

The larger gas stations should have a recycling bin for used oil. As mentioned, Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart will also take it. Many's the time I've walked through the Canadian Tire parking lot and seen someone working on their car. You shouldn't have trouble finding a place.

I will add that I took a trip up to the Yukon last year... the northern half of BC is very empty. Great for taking pictures, not so good if you need repairs. There's a big gas station at the crossroads leading north on the #11, but after that there's very little until Whitehorse. You have been warned.
smile.gif

I am on my way to Dawson City and on to Deadhorse June 7 on my KLR650. Plan to change oil and filter in Ft. Nelson coming and going. Find yourself a couple of gallon jugs. Cut the top outa one to catch the oil. Pour it into the other and deposit it in the trash or if you are feeling environmentally friendly take it to a drop off.

I would be curious to find out how hard it will be to find Mobil 1 15w50 in Canada. Do the Canadian Tire stores carry it?

I worked at a Wal-Mart for years, and when they take used oil, they are 'supposed' to charge a $1.50 enviro handling fee. We hardly bothered to charge the fee, and when I asked about it, people in garage said that they were just so glad to see people disposing of used oil properly, that it was worth it to just take it and dump it in the used oil holder....

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:

Are there places for me to take my used oil in Canada, specifically Vancouver? Do they have some laws that would prevent me from doing it myself?

As suggested, look for a Canadian Tire in BC. They take used oil filters, containers and oil.

Some of the Mohawk gas stations take oil as well ... at least in the Greater Vancouver area.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Sounds like I'll be fine.

For those wondering. I'll be using Mobil1 VTwin. And hope to find some more when I'm up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back