Tour the 1980 auto show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is Chicago. You can see “Chicago” in the background during the Toyota segment.

Last edited:
I had an 2.8L V6 1981 Olds Omega for a while. https://youtu.be/VNquasAVeoI?t=1187 I liked driving it well enough, it had a comfy couch bench seat, was reasonably quiet and smooth, had enough power and got high 20's on the highway.
Somehow the car felt heavy and substantial but I think it weighed like 2800lbs, same as my Focus which feels light but has more rattles.

I’m sure the automakers made sure that no rust was visible on any of these cars and that everything was attached properly. I saw cars with missing side mirrors, bumpers, grills and a lot of rust already coming through the paint. That era was the lowest for American automakers.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
For those nostalgic types that always recall the "good old days!" As far as 1980 automotive technology, the good old days weren't all that good after all. Every time I looked at any of these autos, I was visualizing the poor IIHS crash test dummy in a offset crash test and the score they would receive today. At least in this regard, glad to live in the present.
And miles of vacuum hoses to rot and leak!

I knew someone that got a white 301turbo trans am just like the one in that video for a high school graduation. It got sent home with its tail between its legs by a chevelle with a 2bbl 283 in it at our 1/4 mile track.

I know! The absolute peak of the malaise era. Land yachts or econoboxes, with nothing in between. BTW, the lady pronouncing Audi as “oughty” is irritating, and she does it a dozen times.

Oh good grief, the 80's werent that bad. We had two Rx7's, three Honda Accords, a Crown Vic and a Caprice and they were all very reliable and drove well. Tried like crazy to kill the Caprice and Crown Vic but they simply refused to break, even by todays standards they would be considered very reliable. If you drove them like a regular human you'd get high teens or low 20's mpg's, not bad out of a car that big with a 305 or 302. And honestly the only major repairs for any of them were the Hondas, one needed a fairly expensive distributor and the other had a shuddering torque convertor I replaced only because it was annoying. Not one of the seven cars *ever* left me stranded, they all went deep into the 100,000's and both Hondas made it over 250,000 miles with just basic maintenance.

I do remember some of my family that had a few of the small Pontiacs and a couple of Dodges that had pretty dismal build quality, a friends 4 cyl Camaro that couldnt outrun a moped even with a tailwind and would rust and drop pieces of door trim if you looked at it crosseyed, and another that went through about half a dozen Chevy Blazers before he found one that would go more than 3-4 months without stranding him....somewhere. Anywhere. Every era had its turds. They werent ALL like that.

People get all teary-eyed nostalgic about cars in the 60's, remembering big block 400 hp whatevers while forgetting all the lumbering, ugly, overweight and underpowered garbage rolling around with them that would turn to rust if it drizzled. Every decade had its good and bad but there was still a good number of decent cars in the 80's.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I want that rabbit! 40 mpg optional diesel engine and still looks good in 2017

I agree,I always loved the Volkswagen Rabbits! They were sweet little cars.

Sorry, I have to disagree. My parents bought a new 1979 Rabbit when I was a toddler. I’ve heard my whole life about what a piece of junk it was. Broke down many times, high priced parts, etc. Strangely my most vivid memory is the deafening noise the hatch makes when shutting while inside. No struts... just gravity.

They traded it for new 1983 Corolla wagon and have been Toyota die-heads ever since.

Every time I looked at any of these autos, I was visualizing the poor IIHS crash test dummy in a offset crash test and the score they would receive today.

Beyond that, I visualise ridiculous fit and finish, cams that wore out in no time flat, rust appearing long before the powertrain warranty, the already mentioned vacuum hoses....

I dunno.

I liked my '83 Turbo T Bird; lightweight, the EEC-IV, aerodynamics, and all that was a pretty big leap forward at the time. Toyota had some really nice RWD offerings, the inline 6 Celica Supra in particular; they haven't made a car I've wanted since. The Z cars were already getting fat and ***** by this time.

Few standouts for sure, but not a total wasteland.

I recall the big hair era being more of the late 80's, early 90's, but I could be wrong. The 80's chicks were definitely hotter than most, but not all, of the cars.

Originally Posted By: quint
Oh good grief, the 80's werent that bad. We had two Rx7's, three Honda Accords, a Crown Vic and a Caprice and they were all very reliable and drove well. Tried like crazy to kill the Caprice and Crown Vic but they simply refused to break, even by todays standards they would be considered very reliable. If you drove them like a regular human you'd get high teens or low 20's mpg's, not bad out of a car that big with a 305 or 302. And honestly the only major repairs for any of them were the Hondas, one needed a fairly expensive distributor and the other had a shuddering torque convertor I replaced only because it was annoying. Not one of the seven cars *ever* left me stranded, they all went deep into the 100,000's and both Hondas made it over 250,000 miles with just basic maintenance.

I do remember some of my family that had a few of the small Pontiacs and a couple of Dodges that had pretty dismal build quality, a friends 4 cyl Camaro that couldnt outrun a moped even with a tailwind and would rust and drop pieces of door trim if you looked at it crosseyed, and another that went through about half a dozen Chevy Blazers before he found one that would go more than 3-4 months without stranding him....somewhere. Anywhere. Every era had its turds. They werent ALL like that.

People get all teary-eyed nostalgic about cars in the 60's, remembering big block 400 hp whatevers while forgetting all the lumbering, ugly, overweight and underpowered garbage rolling around with them that would turn to rust if it drizzled. Every decade had its good and bad but there was still a good number of decent cars in the 80's.

I agree. There were some amazing cars from the 80s. The 302 powered Delta 88's,the 350 powered Caprice station wagons,the turbo Regals,the Z's,Supras,RX7's. The mid to late 80s GM 3800 Oldsmobiles and Buicks were amazing too. You're absolutely right,every decade has it's garbage.

The worst cars of the 70s and 80s were the domestic compacts,and like you said,the 4 cyl Camaros. A kid on a tricycle could outrun those pos's and they were ready for the junkyard as soon as they left the dealership lot.

shocked2.gif

The 80’s marked the end of Chrysler as it was known. When they stopped production of the Cordoba with its fine Corinthian leather seats , that was generally accepted as the beginning of the end.

The worst vehicle I’ve ever owned was a 85 Ford Ranger. It blew out ECMs on a regular basis as it also did with headlights. I always kept a spare. The only truck I’ve owned that stranded me, three times in fact, once in -10F weather at 1:30 in the morning. That tow truck driver got a real big tip from me.

As for General Motors, just remember the Chevy Citation.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
For those nostalgic types that always recall the "good old days!" As far as 1980 automotive technology, the good old days weren't all that good after all. Every time I looked at any of these autos, I was visualizing the poor IIHS crash test dummy in a offset crash test and the score they would receive today. At least in this regard, glad to live in the present.
And miles of vacuum hoses to rot and leak!

I knew someone that got a white 301turbo trans am just like the one in that video for a high school graduation. It got sent home with its tail between its legs by a chevelle with a 2bbl 283 in it at our 1/4 mile track.

I have to admit that I sometimes wonder how close to stock I could get a turbocharged Poncho 455 to look in one of those...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back