tough guard, new one, oil light flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I got one of the newer >2016 (picked up a month ago at WM) Tough Guard with the new gray and black packaging oil filters and was wonder if it is normal for the oil light to illuminated as I turn the car on, that's just initializing the oil filter, so to speak, right? No harm, no foul right? No Biggie smalls, right?

P.S. This filter is so flow happy and with the lightweight, low encumbrance oil I am using called Idemitsu, it is super dense, .87 and only the mighty Redline 10w-30 has a higher number. This is related to how well it handles extreme temps. HTHS-V related, yeah, am I lucky or what.

Last edited:
When you turn the ignition on, or when you start the engine? The light should come on during the bulb check when you turn the ignition on and stay on until the engine is started.

After I turn the ignition and the car turns on, it goes off soon thereafter, no biggie, right? No harm, no foul, amIright?!!!?!?!

Last edited:
All of a sudden the oil light turned on when the ignition is on and the engine is not running?

The "idiot light" will turn off at somewhere between 5 and 10 psi on most vehicles. Not a big deal if it stays on a for a moment after the engine catches. If it stays on for several seconds, that could mean the anti drainback valve is not sealing properly, allowing oil to drain from the system and taking more time to fill when next started.

That said, ideally you want the idiot light going out by the time the engine catches. The faster you get oil pressure, the less startup wear.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
The "idiot light" will turn off at somewhere between 5 and 10 psi on most vehicles. Not a big deal if it stays on a for a moment after the engine catches. If it stays on for several seconds, that could mean the anti drainback valve is not sealing properly, allowing oil to drain from the system and taking more time to fill when next started.

That said, ideally you want the idiot light going out by the time the engine catches. The faster you get oil pressure, the less startup wear.

It turns off right after the engine starts up so no worries, right. yeah, first time with FRAM TG, will try to get the FRAM ULTRA on deck but loving the flow of the TG versus the efficiency of the FU although more synthetic pleats means it could flow fast as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
It turns off right after the engine starts up so no worries, right. yeah, first time with FRAM TG, will try to get the FRAM ULTRA on deck but loving the flow of the TG versus the efficiency of the FU although more synthetic pleats means it could flow fast as well.

Normal oil light operation ... any filter will be similar if the ADBV is working right.

"... loving the flow of the TG versus the efficiency of the FU" ... Huh?

The TG and FU are like less than 1% difference in efficiency at the same 20u and greater. The FU will flow better and have more loading capacity - it's meant for longer OCIs.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

Normal oil light operation ... any filter will be similar if the ADBV is working right.

"... loving the flow of the TG versus the efficiency of the FU" ... Huh?

The TG and FU are like less than 1% difference in efficiency at the same 20u and greater. The FU will flow better and have more loading capacity - it's meant for longer OCIs.

Cool, I'm only utilizing 4k-ish OCIs so no biggie there.

What vehicle make and model are we dealing with here? Some older GMs - much like my Colorado 3.5, are finicky / sensitive to what oil filter's being used. Mine hammered on startup using the Fram Ultra. Scared me so much I switched to high flow Premium Guard and K&N.
All is quiet on startup again.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

What vehicle make and model are we dealing with here? Some older GMs - much like my Colorado 3.5, are finicky / sensitive to what oil filter's being used. Mine hammered on startup using the Fram Ultra. Scared me so much I switched to high flow Premium Guard and K&N.
All is quiet on startup again.

Update on my install of oil + FRAM TG! The car is so smooth and velvety, that is my new word for the drive. And then it picks up like a it's hair is on fire. Going to idle less and turn the car off more to ssee if I can continue the no warm-start-grind streaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
When you turn the ignition on, or when you start the engine? The light should come on during the bulb check when you turn the ignition on and stay on until the engine is started.

Cool,, so yeah it works very similar but stay on for a second after the engine has turned over. I was just wondering from the standpoint of it being loose but that is not the case cuz the oil isn't moving on the dipstick! I'm good now, my filter is ok but I'm upgrading to FU next OCI.

Last edited:
The FU may make it worse again. It was too restrictive for my 2004 GM. None of today's high-tech engines need superior filtration anymore, when using synthetic oils. A Fram EG / standard Wix......etc.... will easily get us to 300K on the odometer these days.

Could be a bad ADBV if it's start-up noise. Ultra flows pretty good per motorking flow info from Fram. Been posted a few times.

The engine would not only hammer at startup, it would stutter at a red light standing idle.
Even a bad ADBV @ 3K, using a premium Ultra, means "lost returning customer".

I'll never buy another one! All is well again, since changed-out to a Premium Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back