Tough decisions, thinking of a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be patient, something will come up and a new opportunity / door will open. Try not to stress out.... you won't be at your current job forever.

Tight on staffing is common in many industries, at my job we got weekly / monthly / quarterly and yearly metrics to meet. The bar gets raised every year, luckily I'm near the end of my career.

Redhat, I'm in a different industry but feel the same way you do. I've been with the same company for almost 7 years and am interviewing for a new job. Do you have LinkedIn? Get in touch with some recruiters. You'll get excited again when you get some interviews. Never settle. Time to move on bud. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
Still looking. I have approached my boss again about a raise... he says very sincerely that he will work on it but it never comes.

Neither does the additional staff we've been approved to add. It is really a depressing situation. Been talking about hiring an additional guy for over a year and a half now.

I am so burnt out. Working two jobs to have some money... over 90 hours a week. I went back to the old pizzeria I used to work at back in November. No time to do anything or see anyone.

The IT industry, what a crock of [censored]. [censored] pay for [censored] work.

I had one organization contact me for a phone interview and asked me to e-mail them my availability for a phone call. They left no contact information in the e-mail and the e-mail was sent from '[email protected]'. I responded twice to this e-mail and even sent a cold e-mail from their website 'Contact Us' section. Haven't heard a thing.

I should go have a bunch of kids and work under the table. What a scam it is trying to be a working member of society. [censored] sakes.

Hang in there!

Have have same problem trying to get out of retail....as things are only getting worse here. I tend to have a gift dealing with people, and planning to switch to healthcare HR (or similar field) Need to a bit of school to my BBA. My problem is I need to be able to afford the schooling...which I cannot yet.
frown.gif
(my current job no longer helps pay for school)

I hope something comes up for you!!!

What does your wife say about you working 90 hours a week ?

IT is a field that you have to network (no pun intended) and get your name out there.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

IT is a field that you have to network (no pun intended) and get your name out there.

We don't see each other much. Usually have one night together a week for a few hours. It is really bummer. But trying to make it through.

I can tell it makes her sad and that really bothers me.

Fidelis Care is having an IT Professional Career day on March 5th from 10am to 1pm. I signed up for it and send in my resume. Going to check that out. That'd be a cool place. Looking forward to that.

Last edited:
We don't see each other much. Usually have one night together a week for a few hours. It is really bummer. But trying to make it through.

Fidelis Care is having an IT Professional Career day on March 5th from 10am to 1pm. I signed up for it and send in my resume. Going to check that out. That'd be a cool place. Looking forward to that.

remember: smile, look people in the eyes, be confident, don't bad mouth.
don't give "traces" at work that you want to jump ship!!!
and bring some flowers (of favorite thing/candy/drink) to wifey.
i don't know if you have kids, but looking at them (loved ones) at night you remember why you take the bull by the horns no matter what...

Do not tell anyone at work you are looking for another job.

This is very important.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Do not tell anyone at work you are looking for another job.

This is very important.

+1

What have you done for your job search?

It easy to become complacent and accepts on situation as its comfortable and feels easier(been there done that).

Do you have a LinkedIn profile? If not get one. Most recruiters hang out there looking for candidates as do most employers. Look on Indeed as well.

Further your education online. If you have a BA degree then look on Coursera for on line classes you can take for free to advance your skills. You can also get certificates to document your additional education for a nominal fee. I just took two last year from the Wharton Business School and the University of Michigan. Each cost $75 for the certificate.

Then put those on your linked in profile. Learn how to code in Java. The sky is the limit on Coursera. Do one class at a time and master difficult IT languages. Build your value.

Last edited:
Yes I do have a LinkedIn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
What have you done for your job search?

It easy to become complacent and accepts on situation as its comfortable and feels easier(been there done that).

I search everyday even if it is only for a few minutes. I have daily job listing updates from Monster.

I usually scan Craigslist daily. I have applied to about 6 jobs or so and joined the talent networks of the majors healthcare/insurance companies in the Buffalo Area.

Mr nice is right. I took a part time job to alleviate the stress before two Firestone flunks and my a-hole boss got canned. Don't regret it, and I enjoy my work and staying busy. Helped me lose 32.3 lbs too
smile.gif

I apreciate all of the advice from everyone on here. Really good words here and a lot of solid advice. A lot of it has kept me positive.

I went up to the IT Professional Career Day at Fidelis Care this past Saturday. What a nice place! Gorgeous building, friendly reception staff... seems like a great environment. Everyone working this event was real friendly too.

I'd say approximately 70-100 people were present at this event. I checked in as soon as I arrived. I had pre-registered for the event. Soon after checking in, I met with a guy who asked some basic questions. A pre-screen sort of process.

Then I met with one of their System Engineers and talked for a good 20 minutes. He asked me different questions, scenarios, experiences, etc. I thought it went really well. He really seemed to like my answers.

Today I received a phone call asking if I'd be interested to go in for an interview. I said "yes" and will be receiving a follow up call to set up a time and date. I am to plan for a two hour interview.

Excited. In a way kinda nervous about a two hour interview, but excited at the same time. Not sure what I could fill two hours with but I have known myself more times than naught to be able to talk about and really explain a situation in detail.

Perhaps it'd be a decent idea to draw out an example infrastructure to show what I am accustom to supporting?

Last edited:
You could build a portfolio of things you have done and can do. So that infrastructure diagram could be a valuable selling point.

I haven't read the entire thread. Beyond your technical skills and/or cognitive intelligence, don't forget that they are also interviewing you for your "personal" skills. Your emotional intelligence. They are looking to hire a well grounded person that has integrity, ability to work alone and with others, problem solve (beyond technical), a self starter, a learner, a person that does not necessary know everything, but knows the process of getting the results demanded, one way or another. Self confidence can somewhat make up for attempting to know everything. In other words, when that question is posed that you don't know the answer to, instead of BSing your way through it, admit that you don't know and follow up with how you WILL get the job done based on your successful skills.

That's my old man advice for today. Wishing you the best on your interview.

Just remember you'll perform best when you are out of your comfort zone and will do well.

Is this 2 hour interview far away or driving distance ?
If kind of far away I would stay at hotel for a good night rest and be 100% ready for interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back