Tough decisions, thinking of a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Here's an off-the-wall suggestion for you: Get a list of the local Toastmaster clubs in your area and visit several. Why?
  • You'll get to meet other professionals in your area.
  • You'll learn how to assemble and deliver an effective speech that will GREATLY help you in interviewing and letter writing.
  • The cost is quite low.
  • Effective communication is key on many different levels these days. That's what TM is all about. You'll have a chance to practice on a weekly basis, watch how others do it and learn from them.
  • You can achieve the CTM level with just 10 speeches. This type of experience will look good on a resume and you'll be able to DEMONSTRATE what you learned while interviewing.
  • Learning who your audience is, what they're interested in, and how to deliver something useful to them is a very important skill. You can then use this skill with employers, educators and others by demonstrating that you know how to ask intelligent questions, then listen and incorporate that information into your own writings, presentations, interviews, etc.
  • Once you've learned this valuable skill, your communications with others will be better for it. It'll be more polished, have a focus, and thus, make a better impression. That alone will elevate you above the competition, including when you want to move up.
  • Such preparation will never leave you flat-footed in an interview with Q's like: "I've got 25 applications here, why should I hire you? What do you have to offer?" How you handle a situation like this WILL set you apart from the stack.

When I started TM I was extremely shy, introverted and easily tongue-tied. I stood on solid technical ground with a EE degree from a major university, but I didn't know how to do any of the *'s above. I learned that in TM's.

Another key feather in your cap, that will separate you from the competition, is to get published in a trade journal. Talk about some unique problem you solved, how you went about it, and the results.

Neither of these will cost you much, in terms of $$$. It'll take quite a bit of time though. Research, Questioning, Investigating, Interviewing, Following-Up, making cold calls (FIRST preparing your script THEN making the cold calls...), turning over lots and lots of rocks.

With the internet, this research is MUCH easier. You can also introduce yourself to a research librarian at any library, tell them what you're up to, and ask for their advice. That's what they do. You can also call any library across the nation, ask for the reference desk, and do the same. For instance, in some area you're thinking of moving to.

My local library has paid subscriptions to several sites & databases that most of the public don't even know about. Yet they cost me nothing because I'm a member. I've borrowed some expensive technical books through them for use in my research. You can't do that on Amazon.

Since you're interested in this CCNA cert., borrow the textbook (if they use one) from a library or get them to borrow it from another library. Ask a ref. librarian what's avail. to you to learn all you can about it.

Finally, do you know anyone at any of the manufacturers you mentioned? Cisco, Citrix, etc? Are there trade shows in Buffalo or nearby areas you can attend? A contact I made decades ago at Belden Cable has been a big help to me over the years. I met him at a trade show. That's where you can practice all that TM stuff you learned. BTW, you may find you can get your admission + classes fees waived at trade shows if you've been published. Because now you're a member of the press! You'll be given a press badge, a press tour and access to the PRESS ONLY room at trade shows.

It took me years to figure all this stuff out, but it all began with TM's, then thinking about how I could apply what I'd learned there to other areas. (Like convincing THE editor my technical article idea was a good one and how it would be valuable to his readers as well.)

I'd recommend doing some serious stragetic, critical and tactical thinking about all of this and how you can apply it to your career, furthering & expanding your education & development and leading to greater fullfillment and income.

Merry Christmas!

Wholeheartedly agree, esp. the last part RE: strategic critical/tactical thinking.

I did that 25 yrs ago and decided to go back to school (got 2 bachelor's degree) and never look back...now I have a much better pay job, and no need to stay on as an automech.

Merry Xmas to you all.

Q.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
redhat,

What is the starting pay your company will pay this new hire ?

Around 23-25k per year.

Sweet Jesus!!! That's horrific
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Do any of you think that previously working in healthcare holds any clout?

It is helpful, yes. You need to get into a hospital (University hospital) where the budgets are much larger and you will be paid what you are worth.

Maybe in Canada. In US hospital IT is underpaid compared to other professions..

My uncle spent many years as sys admin for Quest Diagnostics (retired) implementing and writing software and never really got paid that well compared to other industries.

Probably depends on the area in the US (and yes, it pays well in Canada). I know the folks I've spoken to in Dallas were well compensated, same goes for the ones at Duke.

Thank you everyone for the insight and advice. I really appreciate it.

Motivates me to look and keep my options very open. Also, I no longer feel guilty for wanting to leave. I need to care for myself and enjoy my career.

Looking up places as I type.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
IT guys in California, especially in silicon valley, get about $50-60/yr for 40 hour/wk plus benefit.

Your pay is so low, it is time to leave.

Housing/cost of living is really low compared to that area. Silicon valley $50/hr is dirt also.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Apply with www.memic.com and move to the beautiful city of Portland ME

Cost of living is okay in Maine but IT pays squat in that locale. I have been recruited many times as its 45 mins north of me but the pay is less then local area which I can drive into Boston hub.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
IT guys in California, especially in silicon valley, get about $50-60/yr for 40 hour/wk plus benefit.

Your pay is so low, it is time to leave.

Housing/cost of living is really low compared to that area. Silicon valley $50/hr is dirt also.

Yep, maybe go to Texas and work for a good company like Tyler Technologies (heard from relatives). Affordable housing and no state income tax. I work for GE and there's jobs but you have to be willing to move in the area of business. I know an IT guy working for the healthcare business and transferred to the energy side in Houston. He is not crazy about Houston but a $30K raise helped change his mind.

It looks like the OP has to find another job soon as he is looked as just a tech-help desk guy. Is the wife willing to move to another state ?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
redhat,

What is the starting pay your company will pay this new hire ?

Around 23-25k per year.

Sweet Jesus!!! That's horrific
crazy2.gif

I made $28k 4 years ago in Buffalo doing similar level IT work.

Sounds weird but at that time my house was $60k, and expenses were pretty much nothing. We would have lived like kings on $40k-$50k.

Moving to Texas I doubled my salary day one, but my house costs 2.5x more than my one in NY.

Some things are more some things are less, quality of life is much better however.

We are not even close to doing well either. I think in the Austin suburbs a couple needs to make $100k-$125k per year combined to be pretty comfortable.

Out here the buc-ees gas station chain pays $15 per hour, $31,200 per year. $18-20 per hour for managers. Money spends fast down here. You can make $20+ per hour working at Costco stocking shelves, but it doesn't mean you can live on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Apply with www.memic.com and move to the beautiful city of Portland ME

Cost of living is okay in Maine but IT pays squat in that locale. I have been recruited many times as its 45 mins north of me but the pay is less then local area which I can drive into Boston hub.

And you've applied at MEMIC?

Whatever the market rates are in his area for his skill set. The only way to know is to research and then apply for other jobs.

I know around me there is a large market for IT jobs. I just checked the local big health system and insurance company and there was a large number of openings. UPMC - University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. BTW we have a pretty low cost of living.

http://careers.upmc.com/jobs/search?q=IT...ocation=&cf[jobfamily]=

My brother has a software company in NH. but he has found most U.S. IT professionals lacking in "advanced" math skills. The last two programmers he hired came from Ireland. When he does find American programmers with the right Math skill set he can't compete what Google, Microsoft and Apple are willing to pay for these people, which is usually at a minimum $150K or more. As he says why am I paying a programmer top dollar when I'm ending up doing all the math equations in the software.

Last edited:
I would be soo happy with $25 an hour.

I've been looking and have a couple of job interviews lined up. I'm very excited about that.

Perhaps my current employer might see some worth in keeping me an offer a raise to stay. Either that scenario, or a whole new job... I plan on getting some certs and advancing my knowledge. I definitely need to, to advance my career.

I've always liked math...

Still looking. I have approached my boss again about a raise... he says very sincerely that he will work on it but it never comes.

Neither does the additional staff we've been approved to add. It is really a depressing situation. Been talking about hiring an additional guy for over a year and a half now.

I am so burnt out. Working two jobs to have some money... over 90 hours a week. I went back to the old pizzeria I used to work at back in November. No time to do anything or see anyone.

The IT industry, what a crock of [censored]. [censored] pay for [censored] work.

I had one organization contact me for a phone interview and asked me to e-mail them my availability for a phone call. They left no contact information in the e-mail and the e-mail was sent from '[email protected]'. I responded twice to this e-mail and even sent a cold e-mail from their website 'Contact Us' section. Haven't heard a thing.

I should go have a bunch of kids and work under the table. What a scam it is trying to be a working member of society. [censored] sakes.

Still looking. I have approached my boss again about a raise... he says very sincerely that he will work on it but it never comes.

Neither does the additional staff we've been approved to add. It is really a depressing situation. Been talking about hiring an additional guy for over a year and a half now.

I am so burnt out. Working two jobs to have some money... over 90 hours a week. I went back to the old pizzeria I used to work at back in November. No time to do anything or see anyone.

The IT industry, what a crock of [censored]. [censored] pay for [censored] work.

I had one organization contact me for a phone interview and asked me to e-mail them my availability for a phone call. They left no contact information in the e-mail and the e-mail was sent from '[email protected]'. I responded twice to this e-mail and even sent a cold e-mail from their website 'Contact Us' section. Haven't heard a thing.

I should go have a bunch of kids and work under the table. What a scam it is trying to be a working member of society. [censored] sakes.

you need to find time for yourself!!!
time to rest
time to put the mind to rest/calm down
time to learn new things
time to learn that other places do not treat you like garbage

so, please remember: IT IS NOT YOUR HOME!!!
IT IS JUST A PLACE OF WORK! (from many many available). you may have multimillion $$$ firms around you and you would never know it....

so even if you like the tight knit guys you work with, it is your life and you family!
THAT COMES FIRST!!!

i would suggest you get a bit more positive at work for your own mental sake.
if too stressful, find something same pay range, a little bit less stressful and learn new things.
then you can move up the pay grade.

also put all your skills (forgotten or not) and make a list.
then check what's needed on your market

good luck, god speed and keep your engine clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back