Tough decisions, thinking of a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
Today I received a phone call asking if I'd be interested to go in for an interview. I said "yes" and will be receiving a follow up call to set up a time and date. I am to plan for a two hour interview.

Excited. In a way kinda nervous about a two hour interview, but excited at the same time. Not sure what I could fill two hours with but I have known myself more times than naught to be able to talk about and really explain a situation in detail.

Perhaps it'd be a decent idea to draw out an example infrastructure to show what I am accustom to supporting?

Chances are, you might wind up having multiple 30 minute to 1 hour interviews with several groups, if the company that is interviewing you is anything like my company.

Make sure you research the company you are applying for, and what the role is you are being interviewed for, and that you have some good questions about the company/role/team members. Sometimes the questions you ask them are just as important as the questions that they will ask you.

Good luck.

BC.

The company I work for, an interview spans most of the day (6 hours or so). Don't be fooled: if you go out to lunch, the atmosphere may be relaxed but they're still feeling you out. Be willing to talk about interests and to participate in conversations.

Good luck.

Got an interview next Wednesday (3/23) at noon. Excited.

Just thinking of different things I can make up to supplement my competencies.

I'm thinking of a small binder with approx 5-10 pages. One maybe a "mock" network diagram giving an example of an infrastructure I'm accustom to supporting.

A portfolio of sorts. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Sounds like an excellent idea! Having a short story/example for your main competencies is also a good idea. Having a "prop" to give the interviewer brings in a third item (you, interviewer, prop) to focus on and discuss, which will lead to further discussion. Another option is to bring in something you fixed/repaired/built.

Not sure if you know any CAD/drawing programs. SketchUp is a free download, easy to use, and work with. You can also use color, which will enhance your presentation. So will using 11 x 17" paper instead of the smaller 8.5 x 11.

Good Luck!

I've been reading through this thread the past day and am pretty surprised you hung on so long! I'm not sure what the job market in NY is like but in Minneapolis IT is paid very good.

I am a network admin in the metro area, I have a Bachelors in IT/Networking but no certs and make $90K a year. Our helpdesk guys even make in the $50's starting. I work in the medical device field.

I didn't just hop into a $90K job out of college. I worked as a consultant making about $40K out of college. I taught myself a lot and became "jack of all trades". I networked in the IT field in this area and have worked my way through 3 different companies until I found my current position 3 years ago.

I think you are doing the right thing for sure. In my experience, IT positions get pretty stagnant after 2-4 years and we naturally move around. Although I am completely happy at my current position, I always have my feelers out for the next opportunity.

Keep in mind, its not all about money. Work environment, good co-workers,benefits and a promotion path are main aspects of a job you'll want to go to every day.

I have seen " get your certs" come up here multiple times, I'm not sure I agree with that unless you know you will use them. Would it be nice to have them? Sure. Something to spend your own money on? Nope, let your next company pay for them. I know a lot of IT people that have certs but no working experience so they interview horribly.

Being able to interview and being a positive good communicator are much more important than certs. I have scored all my jobs through networking with other IT guys/gals, not certs. Using networking you can get to know other IT professionals and scope out the places/field you really would want to work. Also, don't be afraid to use the recruiters, I have had great luck in the past finding jobs through them because they have access to so many openings and know what the client is looking for.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back