Totally unscientific observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2003 Dodge PU w/ 4.7 that does not see much use lately. In a moment of weakness I had the oil changed at Walmart on 9-26-05 with mileage of 54921. PZ 5/30 with the orange can of death filter. Noticed while driving this week that each startup the oil pressure gauge would creep from the bottom to the normal range. My mind immediately thought of the orange FRAM under the hood. Got totally paranoid. Had the oil changed at a different location today, 2-7-06 with mileage of 55856. PZ 5/30 with the yellow PZ filter. Now the oil pressure gauge jumps up almost instantly to the normal range. Again no science involved, just an observation. I hope that I didn't hurt my engine with the orange can.

AW SH***********T. I sure do miss my previous home where I had a garage to do things myself. Stuck in this apt. with no place to do my own work really sucks the big one.

Boy, I hear that! Where I used to live, I had a shop behind my house, (22 feet by 32 feet with ten foot ceiling). Now, I live in "town" and do everything out in the yard. I sure do miss that shop!

the jiffy lube guys always look at me funny when i hand them the pureone filter. they still put it on though.

My Dakota with a 4.7 even at -20°F with M1 10W30 would have positive pressure as the vechile was cranking. I had full pressure within 13 seconds and this is with the already low idle of 500 RPM's wich sometimes went even lower dureing the winter.

There's a rumor that pennzoil filters have multiple makers. Find that in the filter section.

Very possible you got a "good" adbv on the new pz filter, scattered quality control means a good one sneaks through once in a while.
grin.gif

You CAN do mechanical work living in an apartment with strict rules, just have to do it guerilla style in the middle of the night, or find a vacant lot somewhere.
grin.gif

The oil filter wouldn't affect oil pressure and the speed at which it builds, unless it was plugged, and then wouldn't the oil pressure build faster, since it has less distance to travel? An engine at 55k certainly wouldn't/shouldn't plug any filter, even a fram. Or esp a Fram?

I had a flame red 03 Dodge Ram with 4.7l/auto. I loved that truck but could never break 12 mpg city. Usually I'd get 11 mpg.

quote:

The oil filter wouldn't affect oil pressure and the speed at which it builds, unless it was plugged,

The likely scenario here is that a defective or poorly designed anti-drainback valve was allowing oil to leak out of the filter while the truck was sitting, so the oil pump had to fill the filter at startup before oil pressure would come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back