Totally mainstream items you have never had the time of day for.

One that comes to mind for me is a dishwasher. I rinse my cups or re-use them if it's only water. It takes more time to load/unload dishes than it does to hand wash them if you don't procrastinate. Silverware can go in a soapy/water filled cup in the sink and put the faucet right over it every time you wash your hands. And guess what, if you have the right sink cookie sheets and frying pans can soak at the bottom because the dishwasher ain't gettin' if off anyways if it's baked on.

I guess when people first got an automatic clothes washer (no more tit in the ringer!) that drastically reduced time and effort a dishwasher was easy to market and sell. For me, no thanks!

One that comes to mind for me is a dishwasher. I rinse my cups or re-use them if it's only water. It takes more time to load/unload dishes than it does to hand wash them if you don't procrastinate. Silverware can go in a soapy/water filled cup in the sink and put the faucet right over it every time you wash your hands. And guess what, if you have the right sink cookie sheets and frying pans can soak at the bottom because the dishwasher ain't gettin' if off anyways if it's baked on.

I guess when people first got an automatic clothes washer (no more tit in the ringer!) that drastically reduced time and effort a dishwasher was easy to market and sell. For me, no thanks!
How many are you cooking for?

With a family of five, the dishwasher saves a lot of time every day.

It also saves a ton of water. The new dishwasher (a cheapo Hotpoint) in my house in 1999 used only 5 gallons of water per wash. That's not much water for a dishwasher full of dishes & silverware, and probably a lot less than hand washing most of that stuff. I only hand wash really large items that would take up a lot of space.

Cell phones! I was an early adopter with the brick and OE mounted car phone in the BMW and almost every new cell phone until about 3 years ago. Now I hate them and will not replace this one once the battery is finished. Crap apps, endless spam calls, bad reception, etc make it more of a PITA than its worth.

Cell phones! I was an early adopter with the brick and OE mounted car phone in the BMW and almost every new cell phone until about 3 years ago. Now I hate them and will not replace this one once the battery is finished. Crap apps, endless spam calls, bad reception, etc make it more of a PITA than its worth.
I loved my phone for a long time. The flexibility and overall convenience was huge. Then I was given a work phone. Having two cell phones has made me realize the flipside to the flexibility and convenience- everyone expects you to be available anytime, anywhere. I hate it. I would happily give up both now, and do so in a heartbeat.

Social media. Closest I have ever come is a couple message boards like this one, but I'm not tied to it. However Facebook, Twitter, insta, etc, absolutely not. I don't want everyone and their mother knowing what I'm doing every day, nor do I care what others are doing all the time.

I could see with two people or one, a dishwasher doesn't save much time, but with 4 people, I do like ours. It gets run every night.
I do know a few people that don't use microwaves, some for potential health reasons and others that just don't like how they cook?

Our biggest avoidance of modern conveniences, is doing the majority or our heating with wood, but our house is well laid out for it and its not really that much of a hassle day to day in the winter.

Family of 6… it gets ran everyday pretty much. If that doesn’t happen it gets ran twice the next day.

Going with Nick1994 here, Android. Gave them a shot when I was younger, don’t have the time, patience, or energy anymore for it.

Back