Totally Confused - Amsoil 5W-30 or M1 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not get an oil analysis on the Amsoil in your car, that way you can see for sure how it's handling your particular application?

Both these oils will work just fine in the Corvette, but if you are only running 5000 miles between changes, I'd use Mobil 1 in that engine.

The Amsoil 5w-30 is about 20% thicker @ 210F - 11.7 Cst, vs 9.9 Cst for the Mobil 1, 5w-30 - so I'd run Amsoil in the older Surburban. It will give you higher oil pressure and in all likelyhood lower oil consumption.

The thicker Amsoil might be more beneficial for his LS1 engine though, which is prone to oil burning. A lot of LS1 owners have problems when running 5w30 Mobil 1, they find it consumes oil at the highest rate with this oil. Although my 98 LS1 Firebird didn't use any oil in the 27k I had it, even though I used 5w30 Mobil 1. I was one of the lucky ones though.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
What in particular is bugging you about the analysis reports?

In general terms, the oil analysis for the Amsoil 5W-30 and 10W-30 seems to provide worse results then the new M1 SS. While I understand that each analysis performed is specific to the car, the general trend is there. Most recommendations, if you stay within the Amsoil family, are to switch to the Series 200 0W-30.

I don't see this trend.

Here's one Another

I think the Amsoil 5W-30 will work great - ESPECIALLY with the much lower NOACK volatility %.
cheers.gif

Am I better off swaping my 5W-30 for the 0W-30? Even though my warranty states 5W-30 which is why I went that way to start with?

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
Am I better off swaping my 5W-30 for the 0W-30? Even though my warranty states 5W-30 which is why I went that way to start with?

If the car is under warranty I would use a oil that has all the requirements you owners manual and GM demands as in the API Starburst seal Mobil has.
I doubt GM would put a medicore oil in it's flagship Sports car,,Think Mobil is my opinion especially while under warranty,,then you might not want to ever change back. And you are correct,the Mobil looks very good in the analyis section even against Amsoil in a Nissan Frontier which the motors are very hard on oil.Same truck,same driving the Mobil had lower wear numbers

I have an 02 Corvette with the LS-1. I did my first change at 1,000 miles last fall. Typically, I only put about 5-6K miles on per season, change the oil and then the car hibernates for the winter. On my first oil change I put in Amsoil 5W30 (ASL). I am now getting ready for my second oil change (and putting the car away again). I have the Amsoil but after spending a lot of time reading in the oil analysis section I am not impressed with the results from this oil, even though I am a total neophyte on oil analysis.

The M1 SS 5W-30 seems to be getting rave reviews in the oil analysis section. Should I just put that into the Vette and use the Amsoil in my Suburban that has a lot of miles? If the M1 is better, that is what I want to use.

I checked my manual last night. The requirement is for SJ oil. My Amsoil bottles state "SL", yet I read on this forum that the oil doesn't meet this requirement. So why is it on the bottle and how do I know it even meets SJ?

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
I checked my manual last night. The requirement is for SJ oil. My Amsoil bottles state "SL", yet I read on this forum that the oil doesn't meet this requirement. So why is it on the bottle and how do I know it even meets SJ?

SJ formula oils have been replaced by SL and you are totally safe running SL now.

Vettenuts,

You are talking about only driving 5000 miles per year ....Running Amsoil that long between changes is a piece of cake. Indeed, you could test this oil after one year, change the filter and in all likelyhood run it for at least another year. I have done this on more than one occasion with both my Toyota pickup and 1985 Vw Jetta.

Yes, the Series 2000, 0w-30 is even better than the regular Amsoil 5w-30 and 10w-30. However, the main benefit of this oil is if you are running drain intervals > 12,000 miles. It does hold up better in terms of oxidation/nitration and TBN retention, but the wear rates are going to be about the same as with the 5w-30. Those are more effected by filtration efficiency than they are by oil selection. If you are starting off a new engine on Amsoil and plan to keep it for many years, I'd suggest using the less expensive 5w-30/10w-30 and putting on an Amsoil by-pass filtration system instead. That will have a significant effect on the wear rates over the life of the engine and on the durability of the oil ....

Ted

quote:

Vettenuts writes:

quote:

My Amsoil bottles state "SL", yet I read on this forum that the oil doesn't meet this requirement.

The oil meets SL,SJ etc. Relax.

I'm sorry Pablo, but I will argue with any amsoil dealer that all of amsoil oils with exception to the xl7500 series DO NOT MEET the SJ or SL API certs and they surely DON't EXCEED those specs. This is a known fact and that is why they are NOT API certified and to use this oil will open the door for a motor company to deny a claim if they so choose. This also includes modifing filtration systems or any other systems will void warr's.

Bob,

Amsoil recently got the license for their 15w-40 synthetic blend "PCO" as well ...it is now CI-4/SJ rated and also is on Macks lists for the EON, premium plus specification.

Ted

Bob - with all due repect please tell me what portion of any API(sequence) tests any of Amsoil's motor oil fails?

I consider API minimilist tests. Finally they are raising the bar a tad, but Amsoil 10W-30 just went through the GM V6 engine test at three times the normal duration with no problems.

EDIT> The voiding warranty thing is also a myth. [/URL]

[ November 19, 2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Bob - with all due repect please tell me what portion of any API(sequence) tests any of Amsoil's motor oil fails?

Wouldn't the BEST way to show that they've passed all the API tests be to actually get API certification?
pat.gif

As I stated in another thread, there is something wrong when the (supposedly) "best" synthetic oil avaialbe is not measured or approved against the industry standard battery of tests that the other syns on the market are.

Pablo,

I think what Bob is referring to is that Amsoil exceeds the allowable cap on phosphorous for SL oils. What is interesting to me is that Shaeffer 5W30 has similar levels of the same - there was a post in Virgin Oil Analysis that showed phosphorous levels of the Shaeffer at around 1400 PPM, but it appears as though it has been removed. (?)

Amsoil can easily pass the tests.

My guess as to why not just get the easy certification: They do not want to be bound by the other (political) portions of API, nor do they want to give API the formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back