TotalElf MSDS for OEM oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you will be surprised not only by the number of OEM oils produced by TotalElf group, but also by their compositions. These MSDSs only confirm the actual european trend: most of current 5W-40 in Europe are not 100 % synthetic (from a purist point of view). However, checking TotalElf and other manufacturers MSDSs I was really surpised to meet some 0W-20 and 0W-30 oils made from gr.III+.

FORD

GM

HONDA

NISSAN

MSDS of one of the oils, and namely NISSAN MOTOR OIL 5W-30 DPF, are more specific on the oil composition. May be our experts would give their comments ?

Chemical nature : The product is made from synthetic base oils (Polyalfaolefins).

Slightly overbased long chain Calcium alkaryl sulphonate 68610-84-4 Polyolefin succinimide polyamine, Polyol Polyolefin succinimide polyamine, borate Zinc alkyl di thiophosphate 68649-42-3 Branched chain calcium alkyl phenate sulphide 90480-91-4 Alkaryl amine 68411-46-1 Alkanoic acid ester borate <0,5 % Xi,N

You can get great performance, at a lower cost buy using Group III+ oils with Group V. Shell uses some even for F1. I know ELF's F1 oils are 80% PAO. I guess you can now call a group III a synthetic?

Buster,
I never considered gr.III as a synthetic. Now I see the summer is coming because you start to take me for somebody else.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

As for Shell compositions, Shell uses mainly oils of mineral origin in most of its synthetic oils. Even the part of PAO is quite small without speaking about Esters. As for gr.V, I would rate its presence as just remains of a smell
lol.gif
, if any.

Nissan's 10W40 composition is identical to elf's 10W40. So why not puting a sticker in the rear window with elf's label like renault?
I am surprised with honda's range of viscosities:
HONDA HFE-20 0W20
HONDA HFE-30 0W30
HONDA HFS 5W-40
HONDA HS 10W-40 !!!!

Primus, are the Helix line Group III also? I was surprised to read in Race Car Engineering Magazine how Shell uses synthetic blends for F1 racing. Never thought they would use something like that. I figured it would be ester based like RL.
smile.gif

Buster,
Helix is the brand name of Shell oils for passenger cars and light trucks. If I am not mistaken, this name came from Shell polymer that has a helix form. The Helix range includes synthetic (Ultra), semi-synthetic (Plus) and mineral oils (Super). Helix Ultra oils may be true synthetic, but some of them may be considered as a semi-synthetic. Many oil manufacturers call the latter group of oils as "synthetic technology oil". To my opinion, this is quite a fair definition. It's difficult to say why Shell does not like to follow others and name some products by their true name. However, it's necessary to point out that some manufacturers often give different oil definition on the labels depending on the market. It's quite easy to discover if this description is given in several languages at once.

BTW, I plan to try Shell Helix Ultra AB 5W-30 very soon. So, I am not against gr.III, just I don't like the manufacturer makes fools from the customers.

Shell lately is marketing a new polyolefin , an internal olefin named NEODENE .
Maybe a chemist could explain what a Poly internal olefin really is. My first guess goes to something cheaper though almost equal in performans to poly alpha olefin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back