Total Repair Costs over 200,000 miles

Originally Posted by The Critic
Not sure what to think of this one. I probably should have traded/sold sometime between 150-180K.

Hindsight is better than foresight, eh? At least you can supply your own labor, and it would seem that you've done ok, cost wise--maybe not labor wise. But still. One always wants to get out before the costs start rising again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
This thread illustrates why extended warranties generally a losing bet for consumer and winner for seller.

Guess what, home insurance, caer insurance and any other insurance under the sun makes more than it pays out...what a shock.

I protect my 30,000 vehicle by paying $1500 and overwhelmingly you will need to use some of it. If you only use half, the insurance only cost you $800. You limit your losses.

TV warranties, etc ..yea..dumb.

Last edited:
To a degree it depends on the type and location of driving. Brakes and tires are expected maintenance, but you go through these items a whole lot quicker in urban stop and go miles rather than rural highway miles. Suspension systems which should last 200K in some situations will need to be replaced in northeast roads with winter potholes and salted roads.

This is a standard across all vehicles I have owned

a) Starter and alternator
b) Shocks, tie rods, bushings, end links etc
c) High pressure PS hose
d) Cats
e) O2s, A/F sensors
f) Ignition coils & axles (only in one vehicle)
g) PCV
h) PS rack (for idiooots like my brother who does PS locks)
i) Bearings
j) Fuel pump/filter
h) Valve gaskets

Last edited:
our 2004 highlander has had since new-2 sets of brakes-1 set of hoses-a starter motor and 1 powerwindow motor . 2 serp belts and that's all. I have done all the work since new. 230k miles oil every 5k trans every 100k changed the orig spark plugs and pcv at 150k

Back