Total Quartz at my local AAP (pics)

Does the one say "MC3" ... I predict much confusion over labeling...
According to Total's website, the "MC3" version is the newer formulation. Basically, "SN" vs "SN Plus". It also meets Dexos 2 while the earlier formulation did not. It's also approved by Hyundai/Kia now.

In regards to the Energy 9000 5w-40.

Any of the more knowledgeable guys on this forum look into the msds/pds of this oil? Anything stand out that would make it any better than the oils commonly available at Walmart that carries the same approvals???

I too walked into Aap and saw it behind the counter with a big price on it as well as on Amazon. They sure are proud of this oil asking that price. At that price point, is it a healthy amount of group 4/5 with unicorn tears add pack, or the next LiquiMoly type of advertising?

You can easily down the production data sheets from many of the oil companies that sell the specification of the oil you require and then choose your favourite brand.

In my opinion any brand that meets the international specifications of the total oil would be very much the same.

I have compared the total and the Castrol Edge equivalent and for the massive price difference I would choose the Castrol given the standards are the same.

In regards to the Energy 9000 5w-40.

Any of the more knowledgeable guys on this forum look into the msds/pds of this oil? Anything stand out that would make it any better than the oils commonly available at Walmart that carries the same approvals???

I too walked into Aap and saw it behind the counter with a big price on it as well as on Amazon. They sure are proud of this oil asking that price. At that price point, is it a healthy amount of group 4/5 with unicorn tears add pack, or the next LiquiMoly type of advertising?
It's a Group 3 oil, a decent full saps A3/B4 5W-40 but nothing really that special.

You can easily down the production data sheets from many of the oil companies that sell the specification of the oil you require and then choose your favourite brand.

In my opinion any brand that meets the international specifications of the total oil would be very much the same.

I have compared the total and the Castrol Edge equivalent and for the massive price difference I would choose the Castrol given the standards are the same.
I can download it myself, you are right. However me looking at it vs some of the guys on here looking at it are two different things. I'm still learning, some of these guys are full on tribologists.

Thank you for looking into it.

They have had a small, if marginal, presence at motorsports related dealerships and repair shops as a boutique Euro oil...

No different than Liqui Moly, which was once marginal and now slightly less so in the US-Canada market...

The difference is that Total is a supermajor, while L-M is much smaller. In fact, they actually have more presence than Total :D

A supermajor having minimal presence in the US is quite surprising given the US market for oil.

The difference is that Total is a supermajor, while L-M is much smaller. In fact, they actually have more presence than Total :D

A supermajor having minimal presence in the US is quite surprising given the US market for oil.
They have plenty of market share elsewhere and they are focused on fuels as much as lubricants. And they probably will be bigger than LM soon just as Motul is expanding here...

My local Indy Euro shop uses Total Energy 9000 and put it in everything they service. They put in the 5w-40 when they did the oil pan gasket on my X5 last year. Overall it seemed ok, but there were some reasons I didn't like it. It's definitely on the thick end of the scale and my engine just seemed a bit sluggish on it. It didn't behave very well over the winter either. At -10 F and below my engine would crank much slower than QSFS 5w-40 and even stalled a few times after it did start. Also Total was the only oil I've used so far that burned off in this car, over 1 qt. As far as I've owned it, it's never used any oil with any other brand. That includes BMW TPT 0w-30 and Ravenol SSL 0w-30. So no plans on using this oil at all in the future. I've been very happy with QSFS Euro and Valvoline Euro for a much better price than the Total.

You can tell Im not a Euro guy. I thought this was a thread about the quantity of oil at a specific AAP, written by a poster with bad spelling.

It's well known here, medium quality fake synthethic. It's curious see it there.
Anyway 41-46$... it's 26-29€ the same here and 5L (not 5qt 4,7L).

It is on the thicker end of the scale for a 5W-40, ( Kv100 14.7 ) but about average viscosity for an A3/B4 5W-40.
Here in Spain Total is very popular, the 9000 5W-40 and 7000 10W-40 are probably still their top sellers.

Back