Total QUARTZ 9000 FUTURE GF-5 vs Mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find any topics regarding Total Quartz. I've got a Subaru XV with the 2.0L & the recommendation is 10K Km's oci's. I'm already using M1, it's fine I guess, just wondering about Total.
I found the spec sheets for both oils, I'm guessing the important specs are:
Total M1
Viscosity @ 100ºC 8.5 8.7
Viscosity, @ 40ºC 45 45.8
Viscosity index 150 173
Sulfated Ash 0.93 0.8

So, based on these numbers, I'm guessing M1 would be the way to go? I have noticed that the car in the summer, with the AC on, being on the highway, it's hitting an engine temp of 100c, so that's more important than at 40?
Either way, just wondering.
Thoughts & comments welcome.
Thanks

Know nothing about TQ, but M1 0-20AFE has performed very well in my Ford engines at 10K OCIs. No oil use, no sign of engine wear, both engines are very clean. If you would like Pics of valve train PM me.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't think you'll find much difference in performance. Buy by price and availability.

+1 In my experience, M1 is everywhere and relatively cheap - I've never seen Total.

I know Total is trying to increase their visibility in North America and even have a Canadian office, but they've been "trying" for a long time now, and really haven't gotten anywhere. There are enough SN/GF-5 0w-20 varieties on the shelf up here to avoid having to hunt for unicorns. Of course, from a practical operational standpoint, they're all functionally interchangeable anyhow.

Total, I think, has waited too long to get its foot in the door. When the Euro oils up here were rare and only in 1 litre bottles, with the corresponding high cost, that's when they should have jumped in with an alternative in a bigger package size and a nice price. As it is now, even LM has beaten them to the punch.

Total has a sign in Philadelphia's outfield. How's that for visibility?

I've found and have bought Total oils at AutohausAZ. They run sales fairly frequently.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't think you'll find much difference in performance. Buy by price and availability.

+1 In my experience, M1 is everywhere and relatively cheap - I've never seen Total.

That's becajse Total is a French company that has never sold anything in the US afaik.

So the difference in viscosity, M1 has the higher number, does it mean it's better? Also, wouldn't you want lower sulfated ash?
As for availability, here in Toronto, where I get parts, they sell it, in big jugs. The Total is $1 cheaper, so I figured that on that price, it should be fairly equal in quality. Again, I'm not unhappy with M1, other than I have to wait for a sale to buy it. Also, for $1, I'm not going to sacrifice quality, if I don't have to.
Thanks for the offer on the pics tig1, I use M1 now, so I believe you.

If you are able to get it at a price that suits your fancy, there's nothing wrong with it. I just wouldn't concern myself with one or two data points. SA or a KV number isn't a big deal. They're both SN/GF-5 and interchangeable enough for most purposes.

As for the bribery fines, yikes.
wink.gif

Quote:
Total M1
Viscosity @ 100ºC 8.5 8.7
Viscosity, @ 40ºC 45 45.8
Viscosity index 150 173
Sulfated Ash 0.93 0.8

Originally Posted By: EloZE'PGT
The Total is $1 cheaper

The specs are so close, the oils would be equivalent in application.
Total is a respected brand in Europe. Given it's a buck cheaper, I would try it for one OCI, and compare it to the M1 you are running right now. Then Bump this thread and let us know what you think of it.

The Quartz 9000 series is their best product from Total, they say "The highest specification fully synthetic technology lubricant,"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back