Total Quartz 9000 5W-40, 5171 Mi, 2000 Beetle 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2.0L is a basic but oil burning 8V powerplant. 80% highway cruise at 60 mph, some stop and go and a couple of 60 mile 7000 ft mountain road driving. Oil burning with the Total 40 weight isnt as much as previous brands at a 30 weight.

Beetle had the Total / ELF 5W-40 for the last 3 oil changes with a Mahle filter. Current change at 80170.

Silicon is a little high assuming from a K&N drop in replacement, but switched back to a fram paper air filter about 2000 miles before oil change.

Am wondering if the 12.23 (5w-"35") cSt Viscosity is something I should be concerned about...It starts out a 13.6 (low 40 weight) as stated on the Total website.

Is it normal for it to shear?

beetleuoa.png

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it seems difficult for the 40 weights to stay in their original grade for very long. Of course, most of the reports I'm thinking of are from the 1.8 or 2.0 turbos. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not bad at all. With that TBN, could have easily gone 10k miles. Waste of oil to drain at this mileage.

40-weight is 12.5 cst to 16.8 cst. So it sheared a bit, but not that much. Mobil 1 0W-40 starts at 14.0 cst, and 'usually' ends up around 11.8 cst, so it is normal for these types of oil to do this.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not bad at all. With that TBN, could have easily gone 10k miles. Waste of oil to drain at this mileage.

40-weight is 12.5 cst to 16.8 cst. So it sheared a bit, but not that much. Mobil 1 0W-40 starts at 14.0 cst, and 'usually' ends up around 11.8 cst, so it is normal for these types of oil to do this.

Exactly why I got the TBN.
thumbsup2.gif
I wanted to confirm I can run it for 10k miles. Will probably change the filter every 5K.

IMO, you don't need to change the oil filter at 5K. The 2.0L engine has the same filter as the 1.8T. The OEM spec filters (Mann or Mahle) has a life span of 30,000km (18,500mi) so every 10K is plenty. I've run my 1.8T to 10k between changes; it's fine.

Originally Posted By: Bugzii
IMO, you don't need to change the oil filter at 5K. The 2.0L engine has the same filter as the 1.8T. The OEM spec filters (Mann or Mahle) has a life span of 30,000km (18,500mi) so every 10K is plenty. I've run my 1.8T to 10k between changes; it's fine.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Synth or 5w-40 is completely unnecessary in this engine.

smirk2.gif

Too much of an oil for this motor. I dont llike to see the Diesel Mg ADD in this quartz, causing excess wear elsewear in your gasser - next OCi. acquire an oil w/o Mg salt additives. Then, save your money to get rid of the electrical Gremlins, oh, uh, sorry - I mean pay to fix what they destroy. my 2 centavos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back