Total Lubricants Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is that VW 508.88 / 509.99 spec again.
smile.gif

They sure do seem to have a comprehensive range. I suspect that they'll have trouble getting a lot of shelf space at a Walmart. The Total brand is probably unknown to many. I do hope they do well there if they do get their foot in the door.

What does "defense price" even mean (p. 13, or 4th page of the pdf)?
Is that instruction to marketing - "Hey guys, write something here to justify our lowest-cost juice"?

My tractor dealer sells some total products now, and he can sell them at reasonable prices. He used to carry Chevron but he wasn't able to offer it at a reasonable price.
Ultramar gas stations carry total too as they are owned by the same group, and I imagine ultramar is pretty competitive on its oil prices as well, so probably more bulk customers will pick it up.
I suspect up here, that retail sales are a much smaller percentage of the market compared to bulk buyers.

I've heard the talk of Total trying to conquer the US market for a number of years now. So far, their products are nowhere to be found around here. Online only.

If Total gets on the shelves at Wal-Mart (or any of the other big retailers), what has to come off of the shelves to make room? I'd pick Royal Purple.

I've used Total Quartz and would try it again if I could find it easily.

Funny, I was talking to a friend the other night and the subject of an formerly Total-owned refinery that the company he works for acquired years ago came up. It, uh, doesn't exist anymore and hopefully neither do any three-headed fish in the lakes nearby....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've heard the talk of Total trying to conquer the US market for a number of years now. So far, their products are nowhere to be found around here. Online only.

Total has actually sponsored the Detroit Tigers for the past few years. They have ads around the stadium, and radio commercials here. They also have some continuous running promo where you get a BOGO for Total oil if the Tigers do something in the game. I've yet to try their products though. S&G Import car parts (local company) also sponsors the team and sells Total oil, FWIW.

Thanks QP.
I pulled up a couple of PDSs and got almost nothing; KV spec's and not much more.
There is nothing in their product line that jumps out at me as being something special that I would want to go out of my way to source. So if it's not readily available and or cheap why bother?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
There is nothing in their product line that jumps out at me as being something special that I would want to go out of my way to source. So if it's not readily available and or cheap why bother?

I don't think the OP or anyone else here claimed that it's something special. They just appear to have a very wide selection of products to cover just about any application.

I would certainly not go out of my way to source it. If it's readily available and cheaper than M1 at WM, I'd certainly consider it. Something is telling me this will never happen. Time will tell, I guess.

I'm not holding my breath either.
There are a number of European brands with an extensive product list. And there are a few very interesting European oils I'd be interesting in trying. But no imported oils are cheap.
We get a good deal on domestically made oils and some are exemplary. This puts the imports at a clear marketing disadvantage.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Maybe coming to a Walmart in the future.

Do you have an inside track on this info?

I have no knowledge of them going to Walmart or anyplace else. A few years ago they were unknown to me, now I see their ads on TV, especially around racing events. They sponsor Red Bull F1 and certainly some of the people that follow F1 would consider a top line product for their own high line vehicle. We'll see what happens, but as others have said, the oil aisle at Walmart is already very crowded. Maybe Total will make them an offer they can't refuse. It's happened before. Remember the early days of Motorcraft? Those were the days.

I've seen Total oil for sale at S-G Imports for a fairly reasonable price, but I've yet to see a need to try it aside from curiosity. I'm cheap, so I just prefer to get my oils on sale instead.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Thanks QP.
I pulled up a couple of PDSs and got almost nothing; KV spec's and not much more.

You will NOT like their 0W-30, with it's not even mediocre, 170 VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back