Torque wrench took a dump

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1/2 drive Sears torque wrench died this morning while rotating my tires. I was torquing a lug nut and a loud crack came from inside the wrench. I think it's history but was wondering if anyone ever had one repaired?

Last edited:
They should br sent in for re-calibration occasionally. I'm sure Sears has a dedicated facility for re-calibration/repair. If not maybe they're covered by Craftsman lifetime warranty?

I saw one torque wrench at work where the ratcheting sprocket was full of cracks. It finally gave when one of the cracks went all the way through.

That's disconcerting. What's the torque range on that wrench? I've had one die on me before but it was a cheapo and topped out at 80 lb*ft (which is what I was using it for when it died). I'd assume a half-inch would have a higher capacity and would be able to take lug nut torque.

I don't think those wrenches are covered by the lifetime warranty but I could be wrong.

I don't think that click types have a lifetime warranty. I've been using Craftsman 3/8in and 1/2in beam types for years and they work fine, and for lug nuts a beam type is easy to use as it's easy to read. If I was really worried about torque I'd get a flat beam. The click type are best when it's hard to read a beam type.

Honestly never dealt with Craftsman. On SnapOn, actual ratchet head is covered by lifetime warranty but clicker system in handle costs to repair. I'd think Craftsman to be similar.

Bob

On another forum I read about someone sending in their Craftsman torque wrench for repair. It cost about $60 total, just a little bit less than the cost of a new one on sale.

Craftsman torque wrenches enjoy a robust love/hate reputation. The plastic lock collar on the micrometer wrench is prone to breaking and the window on the digitorq tends to cloud up. A handful of people have good luck with them, many more seem to have trouble with them.

Except for Harbor Freight Chinese torque wrenches, almost no one warranties them for life. Craftsman are 90 days (maybe a year), I think.

It is getting harder to get a good "medium" priced torque wrench. Also, lots of people abuse them....use them to break nuts loose, don't turn them back to their lowest setting for storage, etc..

I love my Precision Instruments split beam clickers. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

how are those compared to snap-ons?

Originally Posted By: dorkiedoode

how are those compared to snap-ons?

either brand is top of the line.

took my craftsman 3/8 back with a cracked collar. they asked when i bought it and i said 2006 sometime. they said tough s...

My Rahsol (Gedore Group) clicker torque wrench has a warranty. I'd have to look up how long it is. It's at least 5 years, if I remember correctly.

dorkster,

Precision Instruments made most of Snap Ons torque wrenches until around 2002, when Snap On acquired CDI Torque products.

It appears CDI makes all of Snap Ons micrometer torque wrenches now.

Precision still supplies the 3/8 split beam wrench for S.O., but the 1/2" split beam is made by someone else....odd.

It looks like S.O. dial wrenches are also still made by Precision Inst..

The Snap on electronic Tech wrench is made overseas by some Asian company.

So.....one can buy a CDI or Precision Instrument wrench much cheaper than a Snap On. The main difference will be that the Snap On version will have a S.O. ratchet head while the others will have their own ratchet head. The internal torque mechanisms are the same according to the company techs. I spoke with.

CDI, Precision Instrument, and Sturdevant are probably the three top torque wrench manufacturers in the US. A Danaher owned company in South Carolina (forgot the name) make wrenches for Sears, Armstrong, NAPA, and a host of other Danaher companies.

It was set at 80 ft/lbs. The range is 20-150. Unfortunately torque wrenches are not lifetime warranty. Bought a new one yesterday.

I would be interested to know if Craftsman give you a new one at new cost. Given the problems Sears has they should for good customer sat. And I might not give up if one store does not, try another. Sears more than a lot of stores gives their employees some flexibility (not always having to call a manger). I forget if the employees in tools are on commission, the ones on Lawn & Garden and Electronics, Appliances, and Vacuums are for sure. And some employees are on full commission (no salary) and some on basically minimum wage and 50% commission.

dorkster,

Precision Instruments made most of Snap Ons torque wrenches until around 2002, when Snap On acquired CDI Torque products.

It appears CDI makes all of Snap Ons micrometer torque wrenches now.

Precision still supplies the 3/8 split beam wrench for S.O., but the 1/2" split beam is made by someone else....odd.

It looks like S.O. dial wrenches are also still made by Precision Inst..

The Snap on electronic Tech wrench is made overseas by some Asian company.

So.....one can buy a CDI or Precision Instrument wrench much cheaper than a Snap On. The main difference will be that the Snap On version will have a S.O. ratchet head while the others will have their own ratchet head. The internal torque mechanisms are the same according to the company techs. I spoke with.

CDI, Precision Instrument, and Sturdevant are probably the three top torque wrench manufacturers in the US. A Danaher owned company in South Carolina (forgot the name) make wrenches for Sears, Armstrong, NAPA, and a host of other Danaher companies.

thanks! this will help me with my next purchase.

I just bought a Craftsman torque wrench a few weeks ago. I brought in my old Craftsman torque wrench because it stopped working correctly. I was asked how old it was....I said at least 30 years (they had a funny smile on their faces)- they told me it was warranted for 1-year. They told me only Craftsman hand tools have the lifetime warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back