Torque wrench test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Char Baby
The one thing that always comes to mind with Snap-On Tools beyond their lifetime warranty(which most other brands offer as well) is that they deliver. You never have to leave your workplace.

That's true, most of the time. Although the last place I worked the Snap-On man simply gave up his entire route, stopped coming to any area shop, and there wasn't a Snap-On distributor in the whole area for several years.
It never affected the Matco man.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Nobody's holding a gun to your head......If you don't like the prices, Don't buy Snap-on tools!

Snap-on still innovates tools & equipment for the professional mechanic....This goes well beyond your basic hand tools & storage.

Snap-on's TechAngle torque wrenches are a favorite of mine & nothing I've seen in the industry matches them, Competitors have a hard time matching the now 10 year old TechWrench!
Don't care for spring loaded click-type torque wenches at all, Let's see some Split Beam comparisons! Oh, That's right Harbor Freight doesn't offer a split beam torque wrench
grin.gif

Snap-on scan tools, For domestic makes....Nothing comes close! It's like having GM & Ford OE scan tools rolled into one with really good FCA/Chrysler support, Decent Asian support & hit/miss on European makes. Though I did work on a 2013 Mini Cooper S recently & the support was excellent.
*I have Ford IDS, Forscan, GM Tech 2, GM MDI-2, & HP-Tuners MPVI & MPVI-2......I have 3 times the money wrapped up in these tools & subscriptions than I do my lowly Snap-on Solus Edge, Unless I'm programming, initializing, Or editing a module....I grab the Solus!
Still use my ancient Snap-on MT2500 "brick" from time to time on OBD1 & early OBD2 vehicles.

Power Steering Pulley service tools, I smile everytime I use my Snap-on pullers & installers, Same with the Snap-on output/tail housing bushing service tools for 700R4, 4L60E, TH350, 2004R, TH200, The latter 2 require complete transmission disassembly to service the bushing without this tool! It also services T56, Muncie M20/M21, Borg Warner T10, And GM 3 speed manual transmissions.

Zero degree offset Hi-Performance wrenches, Saved my bacon more than once.

Just this past week....I bought a 1/2" drive 15mm Semi-Deep Impact Wobble for GM/Ford/FCA exhaust manifold/Down pipe/DPF nuts. Nobody else makes this exact tool, It was $50 cash with a list of $66....Worth every penny to me.
I was getting by with a shallow 15mm wobble, But would sometimes not fully engage the nut as the stud is a little too long.

Dake presses are expensive, Mohawk & Rotary Lifts are expensive, Quality 2-stage compressors are expensive, Quality vises are expensive. It seems you want everything at your price point, Quality will suffer & has historically suffered because manufactures start meeting price points. What funds development & innovation of tools going forward?

thumbsup2.gif
+1 to Trav, this is an excellent post.

Snap-on scan tools, For domestic makes....Nothing comes close! It's like having GM & Ford OE scan tools rolled into one with really good FCA/Chrysler support, Decent Asian support & hit/miss on European makes. Though I did work on a 2013 Mini Cooper S recently & the support was excellent.

What support? Do they help you diagnose and troubleshoot the vehicle?

I have 3 HF torque wrenches. In total, I paid $30 for all of them.

Who in their right mind will buy a $100 torque wrench from HF?

I'm sure that Sears and Kmart didn't feel any threat from the competition either. We'll see how it works out for SO. Personally, I don't and never have bought them and I've used tools almost every day of my life for the last 40+ years. When I worked at GE, we did our own maintenance, plumbing, electrical, chemical piping, rebuilds, you name it. We could have spent any amount of money we wanted on tools, anything we wanted. I don't recall ever seeing a SO tool, though I'm sure they were there. The point is, they were not prevalent and we got some of the most critical, hazardous, precise work done just fine.Years ago, I worked with guys who were mechanics and owed their souls to the SO guy, I felt so sorry for them. It was almost like the old company store. On payday, they go very little after paying their tool payment, what a shame. I know it's their fault for falling for such a deal, but it's shameful that a company would so be so insensitive to these young hard working kids with families, but that's another rant.

Originally Posted by Vikas

Who in their right mind will buy a $400 torque wrench from SO?

That has nothing to do with Snap on that has to do with stupidity. I started out with USA Craftsman I paid cash for and built my tool box up over years out of my pocket not a buy now pay later scheme.
Believe me if you have any sort of brain in your head there is no need to go into debt for tools, just don't expect to have the best or biggest tool box right out of trade school.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Someone who needs/wants it.

Originally Posted by Trav

Many other choices if you want to avoid the SO tax. I needed an inch-pound wrench last year and found the brand, https://www.srtorque.com/ Sturtevant Richmont. Never heard of them but made in the USA so searched on Ebay. Found one like new for $50 that sold new for $200. SO is fine but there ARE quality alternatives.

Vikas - Here's a HF special I use to torque the oil pan bolt on the Model 3...
Remember, all tools are a hammer.

snapon torque wrench.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav

Many other choices if you want to avoid the SO tax. I needed an inch-pound wrench last year and found the brand, https://www.srtorque.com/ Sturtevant Richmont. Never heard of them but made in the USA so searched on Ebay. Found one like new for $50 that sold new for $200. SO is fine but there ARE quality alternatives.

What does that have to with the price of air at gas stations? If it wasn't for alternatives we would all be driving a black model T. People buy what they want, as long as they are satisfied who cares, I'm not paying for it.

Everyone talks about snap on warranty. There seems to be some information out there that many truck dealers won't trade out or warranty unless you spend big bucks all the time. I had a snap on dealer steal from me over 25 years ago. It was a very expensive tool as well. My mistake was trusting him, and not getting some kind of proof other than my buddy I worked with, that I gave him the tool to see if it could be fixed under warranty or fixed cheaply. I just wonder how many of them are crooks like that?
And the comment about the g to the head deal etc. yeah but I just don't like the idea of the greed tax ie profit that the crook in the truck is charging for the tool. I'd rather drive to a store to get it, since I always have to figure out where the guy is going to be and when. The only way you can get a number for them is go to a car fix it place and ask for it. No snap on tool trucks phones are listed. Retired guys don't have tool truck deliveries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
Everyone talks about snap on warranty. There seems to be some information out there that many truck dealers won't trade out or warranty unless you spend big bucks all the time. I had a snap on dealer steal from me over 25 years ago. It was a very expensive tool as well. My mistake was trusting him, and not getting some kind of proof other than my buddy I worked with, that I gave him the tool to see if it could be fixed under warranty or fixed cheaply. I just wonder how many of them are crooks like that?
And the comment about the g to the head deal etc. yeah but I just don't like the idea of the greed tax ie profit that the crook in the truck is charging for the tool. I'd rather drive to a store to get it, since I always have to figure out where the guy is going to be and when. The only way you can get a number for them is go to a car fix it place and ask for it. No snap on tool trucks phones are listed. Retired guys don't have tool truck deliveries.

I often wondered about that myself. I have some Snap On tools. I don't know any drivers, but have a few friends who do. I would not be comfortable dropping off a tool with a handshake and a promise I'd get it back. There is a distribution center about 30 minutes away, I'd probably take a tool there and see what if anything they can do.

Slightly off topic. I recently warrantied two tools, a Craftsman ratchet, and a HF impact socket with the plastic jacket, the jacket was broken. The Sears guy replaced the tool w/o issue, with a Chinese POS, unfortunately he had no rebuild kit. My bad I should have waited. HF was fast and easy. I really like the idea of walking into a store and getting things done fast.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Need a rebuild kit for a dual 80 1/2 drive or buy any tool from snap on? Add to cart. Nuff said.

Ratchet repair kit

Long time ago my regular Snap On man, that I spent A LOT of money with did two things that turned me off...

One was I used to get my torque wrench checked about annually because I used to use it a lot. He always charged me about a hundred bucks. Once, I needed something and it wasnt my day for him to come to my shop. I saw him on the road at another shop so I parked and got on the truck and saw my torque wrench sitting in the same spot I left it. It was exactly mid week from the time I left it to the time I should get it back. No way it was getting mailed out, tested and mailed back. I waited til he came back and said heres your wrench, 100 bucks. I said where is the test sheet? He replied it tested ok, it didnt get one. After that, we bought our own test rig. Not from him. That wrench still tests good.

The other is not a torque wrench. I bought their really nice double flaring tool. The anvil did not spin freely on the threaded shaft so it would ruin the flare. He came in, I complained, he brought out another kit, I tried it, it worked perfectly. I took the new one. He puts the other one on the shelf for sale. I said dont do that. I already showed you it doesnt work. I definitely treated him differently going forward.

Everyone talks about snap on warranty. There seems to be some information out there that many truck dealers won't trade out or warranty unless you spend big bucks all the time.

I guess on one had it's their prerogative to help but the tool is warranted by the Snap On company, not the truck guy. Send it to Snap On for warranty. Is it as quick ? Nope. Is it as convenient ? Nope.

I don't mind these "reviews" on YouTube but they're really nothing more than advertising from, in most cases, Harbor Freight.

Nobody's holding a gun to your head......If you don't like the prices, Don't buy Snap-on tools!

Snap-on still innovates tools & equipment for the professional mechanic....This goes well beyond your basic hand tools & storage.

Snap-on's TechAngle torque wrenches are a favorite of mine & nothing I've seen in the industry matches them, Competitors have a hard time matching the now 10 year old TechWrench!
Don't care for spring loaded click-type torque wenches at all, Let's see some Split Beam comparisons! Oh, That's right Harbor Freight doesn't offer a split beam torque wrench
grin.gif

*I have Ford IDS, Forscan, GM Tech 2, GM MDI-2, & HP-Tuners MPVI & MPVI-2......I have 3 times the money wrapped up in these tools & subscriptions than I do my lowly Snap-on Solus Edge, Unless I'm programming, initializing, Or editing a module....I grab the Solus!
Still use my ancient Snap-on MT2500 "brick" from time to time on OBD1 & early OBD2 vehicles.

Power Steering Pulley service tools, I smile everytime I use my Snap-on pullers & installers, Same with the Snap-on output/tail housing bushing service tools for 700R4, 4L60E, TH350, 2004R, TH200, The latter 2 require complete transmission disassembly to service the bushing without this tool! It also services T56, Muncie M20/M21, Borg Warner T10, And GM 3 speed manual transmissions.

Zero degree offset Hi-Performance wrenches, Saved my bacon more than once.

Just this past week....I bought a 1/2" drive 15mm Semi-Deep Impact Wobble for GM/Ford/FCA exhaust manifold/Down pipe/DPF nuts. Nobody else makes this exact tool, It was $50 cash with a list of $66....Worth every penny to me.
I was getting by with a shallow 15mm wobble, But would sometimes not fully engage the nut as the stud is a little too long.

Dake presses are expensive, Mohawk & Rotary Lifts are expensive, Quality 2-stage compressors are expensive, Quality vises are expensive. It seems you want everything at your price point, Quality will suffer & has historically suffered because manufactures start meeting price points. What funds development & innovation of tools going forward?

Hit the nail on the head. Well said.

I too absolutely love my 1/2" tech angle wrench. As do just about everyone else that likes to borrow it from time to time in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back