Torque wrench settings : Forgot to reset to 0 before storage ...

What brand? Has it ever been calibrated? How critical are the applications it is used for?

It may be off, but it may not matter...

Had it set to about 75 for close to a year. It's the Harbor Freight 3/8s' . 0 is the lowest setting . Goes to 80+ .

What does that mean?

I set mine to as close to zero as possible, which is where it fits into the case in the fully-extended detent for the head.

For example, if the range listed is 20-150, then set it at 20

Had it set to about 75 for close to a year. It's the Harbor Freight 3/8s' . 0 is the lowest setting . Goes to 80+ .

Is it this one? :unsure:
That HF 3/8 says 5-80, so in that case, you should set it to 5 when not in use :)

You can always test it by connecting a linear scale and pulling on it, see if it clicks at the right tension. You can also calibrate it that way. If it clicks at the right tension at a point near the top, and at a point near the bottom, of its scale, or if it doesn't but you can calibrate it so that it does, then it is OK.

I calibrate mine every year or two. I find they do occasionally drift and need adjusting.

"Warm" it up before use again. Put a bolt in a vise, set to different torque value's and "warm" it up. Old mechanic told me that.

Will settings be affected ? Was set around 75 Ft-lbs..
75 out of 80 is close to full scale, and a year is a long time. And a harbor freight is just about the cheapest lowest quality you can find. Time to have it checked either by rigging some kind test rig, or get it checked such as asking a mobile tool tool truck if they can check it. With the setting being close to full scale, and about a year, and a low quality to start with, it is not now reliable.

Last edited:
somewhere way back, I thought the idea was to store a setting-type torque wrench at 1/3 rated max calibration.
does anybody recall that? ?

somewhere way back, I thought the idea was to store a setting-type torque wrench at 1/3 rated max calibration.
does anybody recall that? ?
Never heard that.

Probabta even puts a sticker on your wrenches reminding you to store them at their lowest setting.

got it. thought Probabta was a tool maker I never heard of.
but is it Probata out of OK, the industrial calibration people? OK. That makes sense. But I'll find
my old Craftsman 3/8" clicker manual & reread that too.

If you don't have a vise or other setup to test the accuracy, just buy a new 3/8 when they are on sale for $10 and chuck the old one. Or just buy a 1/2" wrench (for $10 on sale) and check your wrench's setting against it. Just couple them together with a socket, set both to 60 lb ft, and turn against each other. Both should click at the same point. If not, adjust the one you are questioning. Then you will have 3/8 and 1/2 wrenches which cover 99% of automotive applications.

Back