Torque Wrench Checker

Are these accurate for the purposes of testing a torque wrench? Obviously, if a torque wrench is out of calibration, it would still need to be sent in for repair/adjustment. But it would be nice to have something for testing.

Last edited:
Can your basic Craftsman-level torque wrench even be calibrated if it's found to be off, or is it then just a matter of knowing how far off it is and making mental adjustments when needed, like having a speedometer that's off?

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

connect 2 torque wrenches together, both should read the same. you have a digital torque wrench, no? 2 old sockets welded together would be enough.

Looks like a nice instrument to have, however:

You'll have to send that out for calibration periodically to know that it's accurate. If you have several torque wrenches, I can see the value.

In a former life I assembled engines for a living and we had a digital version of one of those on the wall, I used it twice a day. We used to calibrate our torque wrenches, along with that tool twice a year, on offset three month intervals. It's a nice thing to have.

The Critic

Looks like a nice instrument to have, however:

You'll have to send that out for calibration periodically to know that it's accurate. If you have several torque wrenches, I can see the value.
I suppose they have a cycle count between each calibration? My Snap-On Techangle wrenches are supposed to be calibrated every 5,000 cycles.

I suppose they have a cycle count between each calibration? My Snap-On Techangle wrenches are supposed to be calibrated every 5,000 cycles.
I have always been required to send mine out for cal annually.

It may have a cycle count. It's probably not in danger of being dropped or knocked out of cal.

Kestas

Staff member
Can your basic Craftsman-level torque wrench even be calibrated if it's found to be off, or is it then just a matter of knowing how far off it is and making mental adjustments when needed, like having a speedometer that's off?

Sorry for the semi-hijack.
I had my JC Whitney torque wrench calibrated at work. It torqued 10% low in the range I use. So I just dial in 10% more than spec, or use it at the prescribed torque if there is neverseize on the threads.