Torque screwdriver

I thought he was referring to electronics? Honestly I haven’t seen a torque screwdriver before. Asked around at some of the mechanics a few said they have heard of them but never used or owned one. I figured it’s for home repairs and stuff.
Real mechanics have one. ;)

Better yet, we have a tie wrap torque gun as well. Tightens the tie wrap to a specific torque then cuts the end off all in one motion.

Anal retention is a big part of the Bitog forum. You just have to roll with it. For some it’s too much and they move on and leave. For others you can try be helpful or just ignore the posting and look at something else. As for the the torque screw driver, I had my right hand professionally calibrated and have no need for such a thing. :)

image.jpg
Can anyone recommend a good torque setting screwdriver? preferably 10-60 in lbs. thanks
So I just bought this. Never torqued anything other than lugs and bus bars on switch gear. Figured it might come in handy at some point as I have lots of panel work I need to get done and I had money to burn.

That said I am trying to go to spring terminal blocks cause I can never get wires to stay in the screw ones. I also love Wagos. No more hand cramps.

I have no idea how to fix how that inserted.

I thought he was referring to electronics? Honestly I haven’t seen a torque screwdriver before. Asked around at some of the mechanics a few said they have heard of them but never used or owned one. I figured it’s for home repairs and stuff.

Too funny!

It's understandable that an auto mechanic may be unfamiliar with torque screwdrivers. But I have used torque screwdrivers in industry for decades. I am most familiar with seat belt retractors, which have screws that need to be torqued, but to fairly low values. When I used to work in aerospace, we used torque screwdrivers to tighten screws that held pc boards in place. They had to be tight enough to not loosen, but you never wanted to damage the pc board.

Last edited:
Too funny!

It's understandable that an auto mechanic may be unfamiliar with torque screwdrivers. But I have used torque screwdrivers in industry for decades. I am most familiar with seat belt retractors, which have screws that need to be torqued, but to fairly low values. When I used to work in aerospace, we used torque screwdrivers to tighten screws that held pc boards in place. They had to be tight enough to not loosen, but you never wanted to damage the pc board.
That’s cool. I normally use a ratchet with a bit socket or a screwdriver for those. Maybe I’ll look into one of these. Always looking for an excuse to buy new tools.

Very popular with kitchen table gunsmiths. And it works well. Just the fact Home Depot sells them now shows they've become widely accepted.

Very popular with kitchen table gunsmiths. And it works well. Just the fact Home Depot sells them now shows they've become widely accepted.

Back when I did a lot of shooting I knew a few people who ruined scope tubes over tightening them when attempting to mount a scope. I can see the value here. I always used the proper torque and not rely on feel for something that requires a low torque value and can be damaged if torqued too tight. As always opinions vary. There are some pretty expensive scopes out there, ruining one can be very expensive.

Seeing that this was posted in the AUTOMOTIVE section, it would seem logical the OP is asking this for use in automotive repair. Not for your home circuit breakers, not for your guns, not for wall board.
I think that should be clarified by forum management. I certainly have posted about tools not related to automotive use in Tool Time.

Back