Torque plate when machining open-deck blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recomended for sure for open deck and some good shops use a torque plate for closed decks too. . Where did you get the recomendation that it is not needed?

Did you mean it the other way..required for closed-deck, recommended for open-deck.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Recomended for sure for open deck and some good shops use a torque plate for closed decks too. . Where did you get the recomendation that it is not needed?

It should always be better with the plate for stability and preload.

But much depends on the speed and heat of the machining.

Depends on the block. Open decks with non siamesed cylinders need a torque plate to stabilize the cylinders during boring/honing. With siamesed cylinders+open deck you can get away without a plate, I wouldn't, but you can.

Regular closed deck blocks always need a torque plate.

IMHO any aluminum block needs to be finished with torque plates as well as every loaded fastener that goes into the block present and torqued to spec.

i have seen shops that specialize in ford mod motors not only use torque plates, but bolt up a drone oil pump (driven off the crank) to simulate the torque stress of that as well. the shop did that with one i had machined along with using ARP head and main studs and new side bolts for the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back