Toro with 21 horse Kohler. Any easy replacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a decent Z5000 Toro zero turn with a 21 horse Kohler Courage that has a hole in the block.
I'll make it no secret that I hate Kohler engines for reasons that I won't discuss here.
Any other makes (B&S, Kawasaki, etc.) that would be an easy drop in?

Size up your crankshaft and measure your bolt pattern. Many of these engines are very similar to how they go in. I hear complaints about Kohler and Briggs but not so much Kawasaki. I've always liked Kohler but I'm seeing they are having issues these days. But anyways when searching for the engine there should be a schematic showing the bolt pattern. You may have to run some wiring if the starter is moved. I can't provide much input as all of my small engine swaps have been one off custom things.

For the most part, the bolt patterns and crankshaft sizes are all the same on same size engines.

The wiring, fuel and exhaust are different, and could need fabrication.

kawi or Vanguard. They are both very good reliable engines overall. I know kawi's have an engine or two that are kind of problematic. I believe their FR691 engine series is one that has some pretty common issues and Vanguard probably has one in there too.

If you are going to buy an engine, buy the commercial series engine. Even Kohlers can be good, the Command is pretty well regarded while the courage is complete and utter garbage.

Briggs has a "commercial series" I believe, but the Vanguard is still a large step up and built for the long haul.

I have a rider bought new in 1995 with a vanguard 16 HP it now has over 1500 hours with nothing but basic maintenance, oil, filters, plugs, and one valve cover gasket. I also should add that I should have opted for the 18 HP model at the time because with a 48" high suction deck, that 16 HP gets worked hard.

Absolutely understand the Courage hate but 2 years on my Kohler 7000 pro and really it seems to be a strong runner otherwise I'd just put a kawasaki on it.

+1

Originally Posted By: Tman220
kawi or Vanguard. They are both very good reliable engines overall. I know kawi's have an engine or two that are kind of problematic. I believe their FR691 engine series is one that has some pretty common issues and Vanguard probably has one in there too.

If you are going to buy an engine, buy the commercial series engine. Even Kohlers can be good, the Command is pretty well regarded while the courage is complete and utter garbage.

Briggs has a "commercial series" I believe, but the Vanguard is still a large step up and built for the long haul.

I have a rider bought new in 1995 with a vanguard 16 HP it now has over 1500 hours with nothing but basic maintenance, oil, filters, plugs, and one valve cover gasket. I also should add that I should have opted for the 18 HP model at the time because with a 48" high suction deck, that 16 HP gets worked hard.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Absolutely understand the Courage hate but 2 years on my Kohler 7000 pro and really it seems to be a strong runner otherwise I'd just put a kawasaki on it.

The 7000 series is the replacement for the courage. Kohler courage, what a dumb name.

Engine bargain alert - Craftsman 3000 series riding mowers sometimes came with 17.5HP Kohler Command engines. These are excellent, commercial rated engines. And the good part, you can find donor mowers for cheap, often $50 to $100 if they need a carburetor repair or if the deck or transmission are shot.

I'd look for a used Kohler Command, a Kawasaki, or a Briggs Vanguard. If I was to pick one over the others it would be the Vanguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back