Toro Timemaster $450 flip

Found this 2012 Toro Timemaster for free. Owner said self propel was super weak. Local hardware store wanted a bunch of money to service it.

Put $80 into it with a new trans and fresh oil (RGT 5w30). Flipped it for $530.

(didn't keep it as I have a 2020 Timemaster)

Attachments

• PXL_20201019_194848085.jpg
    PXL_20201019_194848085.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20201027_215111363.jpg
    PXL_20201027_215111363.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20201020_172001272.jpg
    PXL_20201020_172001272.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 122
How’s the personal pace work? Those look like heavy mowers. It’s amazing you got it free! What a turnaround!

Was the transmission not working or just week? I have 1 of these in my fleet and usually if its starting to get weak its the belt that needs replacing.

How’s the personal pace work? Those look like heavy mowers. It’s amazing you got it free! What a turnaround!

My 2020 moves around fine. Just push it and it goes. It's a big machine but pretty nimble for its size.

Was the transmission not working or just week? I have 1 of these in my fleet and usually if its starting to get weak its the belt that needs replacing.

The trans was weak/going out. Guess pretty common on the early iterations. Toro has like 3 or 4 revisions of the trans. It barely moved on grass. Stood still at any incline. Belt was fine. Cable was adjusted tight. Got it going with the new trans.

Wow, how much do they cost new? You can get a a Honda for hardly more than a used 2012.

The personal pace works great. Just push it and it goes. You really only feel the heft of the machine if you need to pull it backwards.
Thanks. One of my mowers is personal pace so familiar with and like it. Good for nudging in and out of tree line that circles my property.
Some online reviews pan the timemasters performance on hills. Locally there is one for sale used looks new. Might give it a shot.

The transmission on Toro self propelled mowers is their weak spot. Snapper and Ariens have the best systems.

I've honestly never replaced a transmission on a Toro mower, personal pace or otherwise, and there are quite a few of them around here. The transmissions I've replaced have all been Hondas, usually the hydrostatics. Snapper is pretty well made, and I've never even seen an Ariens mower.

I've honestly never replaced a transmission on a Toro mower, personal pace or otherwise, and there are quite a few of them around here. The transmissions I've replaced have all been Hondas, usually the hydrostatics. Snapper is pretty well made, and I've never even seen an Ariens mower.

Agree. The regular Toro's I flip usually have a busted drive belt. Or the drive gears on the wheel side wear away. The trans itself is fine.

See plenty of dead hydrostatic Honda's on the curb here.

The Toro Timemaster is the best walk behind mower I have owned. Much better that the Ariens I also own.

If I had one complaint I would say its slightly underpowered. Newer models have a slightly larger engine.

The Toro Timemaster is the best walk behind mower I have owned. Much better that the Ariens I also own.

If I had one complaint I would say its slightly underpowered. Newer models have a slightly larger engine.

I agree, that is my only beef with them especially the older models. When attempting to mulch thicker grass if you don't keep up with it and the grass gets out of hand it can be a bit much for the machine. Also OEM belts seem to be really important with these, many of the aftermarket belts don't last long.

Back