Toro personal pace gear box maint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone performed any maintenance on their Toro personal pace gear box yet? Is it just packed with grease?

My dad got one of these mowers many years ago and has NEVER done a thing on the gearbox. I think it is maintenance-free.

I`m sure you all know why i`m asking, I dont want any problems with it. My grandfather had two front propelled Toros in the 70`s. And we didnt do anything to those, and they (the gear box`s) out lasted the motors.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'd like to know, too. And how often is maintenance required? I haven't touched mine since I bought it in 2009.

I remember when you got it.

I have not & don't plan on doing any maintenance to it as it's just not worth it. Now, as a learning tool, it's a different story. However, generally speaking it's not feasible.

Does the case have a removable bottom pan? I know on the cheapy, single-speed self-propell on my Honda, you can pop the bottom off the case and it's grease filled. I popped it off when the mower was about 10yrs old and the grease looked like new in there.

I believe 660mag had some write-ups and suggestions in regards to the personal pace gearbox. Just have to search for it.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Does the case have a removable bottom pan? I know on the cheapy, single-speed self-propell on my Honda, you can pop the bottom off the case and it's grease filled. I popped it off when the mower was about 10yrs old and the grease looked like new in there.

I believe 660mag had some write-ups and suggestions in regards to the personal pace gearbox. Just have to search for it.

Joel

If I remember correctly it does. Maybe I`ll pull it off some time and check it out.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

If I remember correctly it does. Maybe I`ll pull it off some time and check it out.

Try it. I know for the plastic gear case on my 1999 model year Honda, the RTV type gasket stayed intact when I removed the 'pan'. I just made sure everything was clean and bolted it back on. No issues.

Joel

The Personal Pace transmissions are maintenance free, and they usually have no problems unless there is a defect or the operator really tears the mower up.

If anything, periodically adjust the cable if it starts to get slack, and clear debris from the belt/pulley and wheel gears if necessary.

Hey Lexus 114,
When you hear someone tell you that the Toro personal pace transmissions are maintenance free, don't believe them. On the landscaper forums, I have read about what happens when those guys "cheap out" and try to use Toro personal pace 21" mowers (with Honda or Kawasaki engines) instead of the standard Toro commercial duty 21" mowers with 3 speed transmissions and the same engines. Long story short - they don't make it past their 2nd year under commercial conditions. I heard one guy was quoted $200 + labor for his shot transmission.

It is my understanding that the toro manual calls for #2 white lithium grease in that transmission gear box. (I am too lazy to check it out, but I am sure someone else will). Anyway, the pan is removable.

As for me, I have a 2 stroke, 6 1/2 HP Lawn Boy with an Easy Stride transmission (which is a clone of the Personal Pace). I tend to go overkill on maintenance, and used that Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease, instead of the lithium grease. (Also because I didn't know what else to do with that spare tube of grease). I'm going into my 2nd year using that Racing grease, and so far, no ill effects or grinding noises.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Hey Lexus 114,
When you hear someone tell you that the Toro personal pace transmissions are maintenance free, don't believe them. On the landscaper forums, I have read about what happens when those guys "cheap out" and try to use Toro personal pace 21" mowers (with Honda or Kawasaki engines) instead of the standard Toro commercial duty 21" mowers with 3 speed transmissions and the same engines. Long story short - they don't make it past their 2nd year under commercial conditions. I heard one guy was quoted $200 + labor for his shot transmission.

That's because they aren't meant for commercial use. They are marketed as consumer grade mowers for a reason. You want commercial durability, buy a commercial mower. The typical homeowner should never have to service the transmission.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Hey Lexus 114,

That's because they aren't meant for commercial use. They are marketed as consumer grade mowers for a reason. You want commercial durability, buy a commercial mower. The typical homeowner should never have to service the transmission.

How many years will it last under "home owner" use. My PP Toro is going into it's 4th summer and all seems well. I do take the rear wheels of and oil up the gears per the owners manual but that is not the gear box. Thanks!

Probably indefinitely. I've seen 20 year old Toros that are still working fine. My 10 year old AYP with a similar transmission has never had an issue. Using a mower on one or two yards once a week during spring/summer is nothing compared to an all day every day beating from a landscaping company. I don't think you will see much benefit from trying to clean all of the old grease out and refilling with new grease unless the transmission gets submerged in water or something crazy like that.

You guys all don't get it! My point was, if you have a consumer grade mower, it is nice to know what is the least durable part of the mower under normal usage and maintenance. The commercial landscaper guys are telling you that the FIRST part that will break will be the transmission - under accelerated usage, or even consumer grade usage.

Now if you choose to call the gear box "maintenance free," go ahead and roll the dice. It may last 5-6 years if you are lucky. After that, it will get pushed to the curb on trash day, like all the other mowers just like it. If you do a little preventative maintenance, you can get a few more years out of it. Consumer grade mowers by definition are supposed to be disposable mowers for those who don't do any maintenance. The manual is telling you to repack with white lithium grease.

No, I think we do get it. Under normal homeowner use, the gearbox is likely lifetime serviced.

My mower gets run for maybe 25 hours a year. That's maybe three days for a commercial mower in continous use. If it makes it for a year, what is the equivalent lifetime in my application?

Get the right tool for the job and service it accordingly. Kinda like oil changes intervals for "severe duty" versus normal driving. One is lifetime serviced, the other isn't in this application.

Last edited:

Now if you choose to call the gear box "maintenance free," go ahead and roll the dice. It may last 5-6 years if you are lucky. After that, it will get pushed to the curb on trash day, like all the other mowers just like it. If you do a little preventative maintenance, you can get a few more years out of it. Consumer grade mowers by definition are supposed to be disposable mowers for those who don't do any maintenance. The manual is telling you to repack with white lithium grease.

Well, like I said, my AYP is 10 years old. 5 years + a few more years is about 10, so I got the same life with no trans maintenance. And those old Toros I mentioned earlier didn't look like anyone had touched the transmissions except for maybe a belt replacement.

If you want to dig the grease out of the transmission, by all means do it, I'm just saying it's not needed for most mowers used in typical conditions.

The Personal Pace transmissions are maintenance free, and they usually have no problems unless there is a defect or the operator really tears the mower up.

If anything, periodically adjust the cable if it starts to get slack, and clear debris from the belt/pulley and wheel gears if necessary.

odd..my personal pace owners manual says never grease the back wheel gears--guess it attracts more lawn garbage and may do more harm than good

Originally Posted By: steve20

odd..my personal pace owners manual says never grease the back wheel gears--guess it attracts more lawn garbage and may do more harm than good

Huh.....my personal pace owners says to oil/grease the back wheels! Mine is 4 years old and I relube them every year. Wonder why they say do and don't at the same time?

Chris/Steve, mine also says to put a drop of OIL on the rear wheel gears. I tried bearing grease once and it didn't like it, so I cleaned everything and re-oiled and I was back to new performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back