Toro CCR2450 Muffler Bolts Torque #

While clearing out 10" of new snow, my trusty old CCR 2450 2-stroke the engine started running at rpm's way above the norm. I had to keep it in the deep stuff or I thought it might throw a rod. I suspected the governor, but on disassembly, the only thing I can find out of place is the muffler fell off. Fortunately, the long bolts and gasket were still inside.

My questions are: What would you recommend for a torque spec on the muffler bolts (maybe I'm overthinking this but don't want it to fall off again and don't want to strip the aluminum threads). Also, could having no muffler cause the increase in rpm? The governor spring and arm appear to be fine.

Thanks for any advice.

I have a CCR2450.
the rpm is controlled by the bend in the wire on the linkage. you might have bent it?

I thought mine was dying.. was throwing snow like a troy bilt or craftsman...

put a tach on mine and it was running about 1000rpm low. A couple bends later and throws snow 40ft again.

You might need to put a tach on it.. IIRC the spec was 3800rpm +-10% (maybe 3850 its been awhile)
Also from memory mine was right around 3900

Small engine tach can be very cheap.. but they usually have perm. batteries and die early death.

What size are they?
13mm. Not sure of the thread.
1613519050235.jpeg

You might need to put a tach on it.. IIRC the spec was 3800rpm +-10% (maybe 3850 its been awhile)
Also from memory mine was right around 3900
I also have a 2450. I believe the factory rpm is 3600 and 5 hp. The higher powered Snow Commanders and CCR3650 are rated at 6.5 hp and they achieve it by bumping the rpm up to 4000. So easy trick, increase your rpm to 4000 and you now have the high powered version! Throws snow like a champ!

my muffler also rattled loose a few years back. It didn't fall totally off but man, it makes a racket when it's shaking.

I also have a 2450. I believe the factory rpm is 3600 and 5 hp. The higher powered Snow Commanders and CCR3650 are rated at 6.5 hp and they achieve it by bumping the rpm up to 4000. So easy trick, increase your rpm to 4000 and you now have the high powered version! Throws snow like a champ!
from the link
EDIT the +- doesnt copy the +300 is +-300
4HP runs at 3700 + 300
CCR 2400 - 3700 5HP runs at 3800 + 300 rpm
CCR 2450 & 2500 - 3800 rpm
CCR 3600 - 3900 rpm
CCR 3650 - 4000 rpm
Snow Commander - 4000 rpm
All snow engines are + 300 rpm

Thanks for all the replies. It’s back together and I’ll give it ago when the plow comes through again and blocks the end of the driveway.

Did you use anti seize? Always use that on exhaust bolts otherwise you’ll get the classic “snap” next time you go to take it apart. That bolt is SAE since it has lines on the top so it’s a 1/2 but 13mm is just a tad bigger but still will work. As for torque I say snug and maybe a little more but not too sure on this.

Did you use anti seize? Always use that on exhaust bolts otherwise you’ll get the classic “snap” next time you go to take it apart. That bolt is SAE since it has lines on the top so it’s a 1/2 but 13mm is just a tad bigger but still will work. As for torque I say snug and maybe a little more but not too sure on this.
No, didn’t use anti seize. I won’t be taking the muffler off again as I’ll likely buy a new 4 stroke if I have to do much more than replace the carb in the future. I love the 2 stroke’s power but smelling like gas and oil is getting old (says my wife). :LOL:

Back