Tornado Warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed the SPC has a HIGH risk for severe in that area. Hardly ever see that rating.

We apparently had a "tornado warning" here in upstate NY yesterday. I was outside working in the yard. It got dark for 15 minutes, downpoured, and then was sunny again. Some tornado!

We have storm trackers/spotters who made the trip from ILLINOIS to the eastern TX panhandle / western OK area today... simply becuase the risk was so high.

They figured it was guaranteed to be good for chasing, and worth the trip.

We had an F1 here Saturday. It always surprises me how much damage even a "weak" tornado can do. As of noon today, still quite a few folks without power.

Today was supposed to be bad, but thankfully no evidence of that so far. The expert forecasts / predictions leave a lot to be desired. I don't pay a lot of attention to them.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Noticed the SPC has a HIGH risk for severe in that area. Hardly ever see that rating.

We apparently had a "tornado warning" here in upstate NY yesterday. I was outside working in the yard. It got dark for 15 minutes, downpoured, and then was sunny again. Some tornado!

There was a wall cloud over Syracuse and Onondaga lake with rotation yesterday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

There was a wall cloud over Syracuse and Onondaga lake with rotation yesterday.

We felt the brunt of those storms around the Sacandaga area. Some had marble-sized hail, others just lots of rain.

Lots of tree branches in the road this morning as well. Some people lost power but I never did.

Thank goodness the temps are not what they need to be to form supercells but the fuel is still close to the dry line!

Going to be a long night!
OKC is still in the clear as of 4:45pm.

I'm 20-25 minutes south of OKC

It was a WEIRD day, Barely any traffic on I-35/I40 !!! Many folks stayed home !! Schools were closed, Many business didn't open or closed early

But I was able to get many things done today also lol

As of 8:17 PM CT nothing has happened in the OKC metro area

Lots of panic for NOTHING

Dave

So here's what the spotters saw:

[Linked Image]

I'd rather have a not-so-accurate forecast than to be caught off-guard when one of these twisters start spinning. Trust me. Unless you've not been through one, you want to heed the warnings. It's not like tornado forecasting is an exact science. Actually, the forecasted area was spot on. Multiple twisters were coming from one cell west of OKC. I'm 40 miles SW of OKC, trust me, I had my ears and eyes on. Luckily, we dodged a bullet, it went around us. Now we're dealing with the flooding and downstream flooding. Areas NW and N of the OKC area got heavily flooded. Some areas got 6 inches of rain in about 3 hours, on top of an already saturated ground. If that cold front would have stayed in Kansas, this could have been a more sever outbreak than the May 99 storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back