Torn media isn't just a Purolator phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This K&N HP-2009 was in use for 14 months, 6,970 miles on a 2000 Lexus GS300. It was installed on 8-8-2013 and taken off on 10-2-2014. The oil used was Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 10w-30. The vehicle was not used in the winter.

As you can see, there is a tiny tear at the top of one of the pleats. However it's different than the Purolator tears, it's not at the crimp point. Still, there it is! The end of the pleat with the tear was lower than the other pleats. The non-torn end of the pleat was normal, except for the slight slope downward as a result of the torn side being lower as previously stated. I was very careful when opening this filter, I'm certain that I didn't cause this when opening it.

They are sourced to Mexico and or Korea depending on when it was made and what model. Just like most good companies that end up trying to make money and outsourcing without lowering the retail price of the goods they are producing.

Was this a Made in the USA filter? If it was it should have had the stamp on the can but i don't see it.

Not so long ago, K&N was built in the USA by Champion and was the next best thing to the Champ built Mobil 1 oil filters.

Is Champion still involved in K&N production since the move to Mexico?

Also, you have to wonder if there is some common factor with the Purolator problems.

Maybe a single Mexican supplier for the media for both filter manufacturers?

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

That's what I'm wondering too.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
K&N is cheap Mexican [censored] now. No wonder.

Yupp I was going to say the same thing..

I had one that was made in USA and cut it open and posted pics....

Then they went to South KOREA.... but I guess they get a better deal in Mexico.

I made a post that compared the USA K&N filter to the KOREA K&N and to the MEXICAN K&N and you can certainly see the USA made filter is much better designed.

I can understand why K&N went to Mexico ** To make more $$$ and cut costs **
but K&N Used to pride themselves on being USA MADE...

Sucks.. I had it when I go to Wallymart and 99.9% of the stuff is made in CHINA or India.
I did find ZIPPO Lighters made in USA and some #2 lead pencils made in USA.

All the rest CHINA.

want to hear something very disrupting???

GENERIC PRESCRIPTIONS AT WALMART are manufactured in CHINA!

and CVS and Walgreens and all the big Pharmacy's are following suit.

My Dad is on CRESTOR®... and he was on the name brand... the good stuff...
Well his insurance said They would NOT pay and wanted to charge $500 for 30 pills
So my Dad took the generic.... and after 3 months he had a blood test and his cholesterol was up over 450 and when he was on the USA MADE NON GENERIC CRESTOR® his cholesterol was in the 180 range.

So the DR had to call BLUE CROSS and tell them to Prescribe as written aka medically necessary and the Insurance company actually wanted copies the blood tests....

Years ago Generics medication was made in Canada or Argentina or Brazil... However to have our Medication come from a COMMUNIST Country.. is nutz....

It would of been the same back in the cold war days if we were getting all our stuff made in USSR.

Sorry off topic but the CHINA stuff bugs me and IMO HAS TO STOP!

Also KFC.. all their Chicken comes from CHINA

Read

Last year, as KFC's China operations reeled from allegations in late 2012 that some its chickens contained high levels of antibiotics, Yum!

Even Mc Donalds Chicken is from CHINA...
read
https://www.google.com/search?q=KFC+CHICKEN+FROM+CHINA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

SO SORRY IM OFF TOPIC but I'm very concerned with this.. This Economist / basically the smartest $ guy in the world says the US Dollar is going to drop to nothing in MARCH of 2015
you can watch his video on you tube and he shows PROOF, that he went to the CIA and showed them his findings.....

Also he says USA is already has people in soup lines and bread lines like back in the great depression.. actually way more people now then in the Great deppression.. however its called EBT now.. FOOD STAMP CARD.

Again sorry off topic.

I just don't like to see our USA products and jobs going to other countries and our medical supplies and medicine come from CHINA really bugs me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
No, according to Jay Buckley from FRAM Filtration (new owners of Champion Laboratories). He said in a post here that K&N pulled their oil filter business and went to Korea, and downgraded the specs without lowering the price.

"I can understand why K&N went to Mexico ** To make more $$$ and cut costs **"

I can't, although it's a lot better than going to China to make more money. There are plenty of USA made filters at good prices, so someone knows how to stay in the USA and support their own people's jobs.

Originally Posted By: David1

Well his insurance said They would NOT pay and wanted to charge $500 for 30 pills
So my Dad took the generic.... and after 3 months he had a blood test and his cholesterol was up over 450 and when he was on the USA MADE NON GENERIC CRESTOR® his cholesterol was in the 180 range.

So the DR had to call BLUE CROSS and tell them to Prescribe as written aka medically necessary and the Insurance company actually wanted copies the blood tests....

Years ago Generics medication was made in Canada or Argentina or Brazil... However to have our Medication come from a COMMUNIST Country.. is nutz....

Severely
32.gif
to this thread, and I don't mean to be rude, but there is no generic Crestor today. IIRC there won't be a generic Crestor until (May or July) of 2016. There are other products in the drug class, most notably Lipitor which went off patent in 2011.

There is a lot of contention/disagreement among medical professionals regarding effectiveness of different drugs in the Lipid Lowering Agent/HMG class and disagreement specifically whether Lipitor and Crestor work the same way and are just as effective as one another.

Based on what you shared, it's likely that your Dad's health plan required trial of a generic medication (probably generic Lipitor) before getting a brand medication (Crestor) because generics are typically cheaper then brands for a variety of reasons.

Just my
49.gif
- what you described sounds a lot more to me like a problem from two different drugs interacting differently even though they are supposed to achieve the same end result than a problem with how the drug is sourced.

Cool story bro. And while you seem to like to pick on Walmart, many, many drugs are now manufactured in China, including name-brands.

And that meat? It was sold in China.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
K&N is cheap Mexican [censored] now. No wonder.

Yupp I was going to say the same thing..

I had one that was made in USA and cut it open and posted pics....

Then they went to South KOREA.... but I guess they get a better deal in Mexico.

I made a post that compared the USA K&N filter to the KOREA K&N and to the MEXICAN K&N and you can certainly see the USA made filter is much better designed.

I can understand why K&N went to Mexico ** To make more $$$ and cut costs **
but K&N Used to pride themselves on being USA MADE...

Sucks.. I had it when I go to Wallymart and 99.9% of the stuff is made in CHINA or India.
I did find ZIPPO Lighters made in USA and some #2 lead pencils made in USA.

All the rest CHINA.

want to hear something very disrupting???

It would of been the same back in the cold war days if we were getting all our stuff made in USSR.

Sorry off topic but the CHINA stuff bugs me and IMO HAS TO STOP!

Also KFC.. all their Chicken comes from CHINA

Read

Last year, as KFC's China operations reeled from allegations in late 2012 that some its chickens contained high levels of antibiotics, Yum!

Even Mc Donalds Chicken is from CHINA...
read
https://www.google.com/search?q=KFC+CHICKEN+FROM+CHINA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

SO SORRY IM OFF TOPIC but I'm very concerned with this.. This Economist / basically the smartest $ guy in the world says the US Dollar is going to drop to nothing in MARCH of 2015
you can watch his video on you tube and he shows PROOF, that he went to the CIA and showed them his findings.....

Also he says USA is already has people in soup lines and bread lines like back in the great depression.. actually way more people now then in the Great deppression.. however its called EBT now.. FOOD STAMP CARD.

Again sorry off topic.

I just don't like to see our USA products and jobs going to other countries and our medical supplies and medicine come from CHINA really bugs me.

Does it say the KFC chicken is brought from China, or for KFC in China? I have never seen chicken for sale from China, it is pretty cheap from here.
As for medicine, go to another pharmacy, they have different vendors. I take one medicine once in a while for headaches, and Rite Aid started sourcing it from India. I felt it wasn't the same. Rite Aid said I could go somewhere else if I didn't like it, so I did. I went to Safeway pharmacy and their generic was not made in China or India, same copay.
If people would vote with their business, that's the best way to complain about this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
"I can understand why K&N went to Mexico ** To make more $$$ and cut costs **"

I can't, although it's a lot better than going to China to make more money. There are plenty of USA made filters at good prices, so someone knows how to stay in the USA and support their own people's jobs.

Your government doesn't know how to keep jobs in the US.

That's the problem.

Washington DC is too busy making money for the big boys to keep Americans working.

If you notice, a lot of so called US filter manufacturers have Mexican or Chinese filters in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back