Torn between PP and M1 GM 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am leaning toward Mobil 1 due to the slightly thicker viscosity at operating temps.

Whichever oil you use, substitute a qt of Castor oil. Will eliminate the usage completely. I could explain the science behind it, but you wouldn't understand.

What type of driving conditions will the vehicle be subjected to? The GF-6 spec will address timing chain wear via the Seq X test. For engines prone to timing chain issues, I'd change the oil at moderate intervals and not push it too far.

I have two GM vehicles that are "known" for cam chain failures and I have used cheap oil and rather long OCI's. Both have over 200,000 miles on them with out any engine problems. Today I had the timing chain cover off the 4 cylinder ecotec and the guides and chains look almost new. In my opinion, the failures are not oil related. They simply made some poor quality chains over the years.

Doesn't matter, you should just make sure to add 1 can of BG MOA with every oil change and do an engine flush with BG EPR prior to draining the oil; these two steps will greatly reduce the likelihood of oil consumption.

Just kidding.

If it is between regular M1 and PP, they are both very similar in performance. I would pick M1 only because I despise the Pennzoil jugs.

Originally Posted by buster
What type of driving conditions will the vehicle be subjected to? The GF-6 spec will address timing chain wear via the Seq X test. For engines prone to timing chain issues, I'd change the oil at moderate intervals and not push it too far.

It's a daily driver. Plenty of short trips less than 2 miles. Most less than 5.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Originally Posted by volk06
The only reasonable solution is to not buy either and go for the castrol edge.

So should I go with the Edge or the Magnatec?

Oh no you just didn't. ...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by ls973800
Originally Posted by volk06
The only reasonable solution is to not buy either and go for the castrol edge.

So should I go with the Edge or the Magnatec?

the truth is,if u care about a thing called the truth,is that it doesn't matter,but i think for that type of ocd only magnatec stop start can help.for your short trips.

My Equinox has one of those dreaded I-4 engines.
The best thing you can do is CHANGE the oil early and or often.
I change mine as soon as it starts burning it at an accelerated rate.
This is around 3000 to 3500 miles.
I would NOT suggest long 5K miles OCI's with ANY oil in these less than stellar engines.
Change it early with DEXOS 5W-30; change it often.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
My Equinox has one of those dreaded I-4 engines.
The best thing you can do is CHANGE the oil early and or often.
I change mine as soon as it starts burning it at an accelerated rate.
This is around 3000 to 3500 miles.
I would NOT suggest long 5K miles OCI's with ANY oil in these less than stellar engines.
Change it early with DEXOS 5W-30; change it often.

What year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back