TORCO 5W-40 OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANY OIL GURUS OUT THER GOT OPINIONS ON TORCO SYNTHETIC 5W-40 MPZ(MOLY PHOSPHORUS ZINC) ENGINE OIL? THANKS, MIKEYOILNUTT.
confused.gif

No opinion here Mikey because I have never heard of it before. I thought Torco was a 2 cycle oil maker.At least was in the past. Whats the price? Have a VOA of it ?

Where do you people get these brands from? Stick with Mobil,Redline, Amsoil....why waste time researching these no-name brand oils? Although, I wish we had a little more variety around here....like Delvac.
wink.gif

[ December 28, 2002, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

The only brands I ever run into at Autozone, Pepboys, or Advanced Auto parts are the big oil giants like Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil etc. Most of these places don't even carry Delvac or Rotella. Torco? never heard of it.

"The only brands I ever run into at Autozone, Pepboys, or Advanced Auto parts are the big oil giants like Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil etc. Most of these places don't even carry Delvac or Rotella. Torco? never heard of it. "
And that means what? There are many smaller companies that make good oils that are not available at the stores you mentioned.

No kidding, but where? If it is so hard to find, and find out if it is good, is it worth it? That is my point. I'd rather stick to what is generally known as a good product. Hey, it might be good, but most likely you would have to run an analysis on it to see if it is what your looking for.

[ December 28, 2002, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

torco is well known in chicago, not for oil... they have many car dealerships and if you have ever seen a cubs game, its famous for the building behind the bleachers with the lighted TORCO huge sign.

Thanks for all of the input. Torco was started by a guy named Bob Landcaster back in the 1960's. Mainly made oil for top fuel cars. Their synthetic runs about $10.75 a quart and it is a diester olefin base as far as I know. On their website they talk about how zinc has a high coefficeint of friction and how the moly actually offsets this. Kinda interesting. They also dyno testested a 2000 Ford mustang and got slightly more power with their 5w-20 synthetic compared to the mineral 5w-20. I know their are a lot of small oil makers out there, but it is always interesting to see the different engineering that goes into different products. Mikeyoilnutt.

The zinc moly relationship is interesting and makes sense why Amsoil told me they don't use it. They said it is not compatible with there long drain formulation. So they could be sacrificing wear for longevity....

I think that Torco is another premium product like RedLine...top quality, high priced, and hard to find. They even make a CH-4 diesel lube!

The fact that it's not found in the huge chain auto parts stores, AutoZone, etc., is a plus, in my opinion.

In any case, it probably offers equally fine protection as RedLine, Mobil 1, Mobil Delvac 1, and Schaeffer's and at a higher price than the latter.

Ken

[ December 28, 2002, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

True, small companies that specialize, like Amsoil can turn out great products.

buster,Ken2, I really appreciate your responses. **** hard to choose oils with all the information out there. It is nice to have you gurus out there(like youself) with feedback, because a lot of individuals do not seem to care. Mikeyoilnutt.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The zinc moly relationship is interesting and makes sense why Amsoil told me they don't use it. They said it is not compatible with there long drain formulation. So they could be sacrificing wear for longevity....

They are fools if this is what they are really doing! Why bother designing an oil to go super long intervals at the expense of it not reducing engine wear! I'd rather have an oil that lasts 10k but gets low wear numbers, than an oil that lasts 20k but gets higher wear numbers. I've said it many times before, but Amsoil needs to wake up and get out of their silly 25k/35k claims. There is just way too small of a percentage of people who can go this far of a distance.

Patman, I agree 100%. I emailed Amsoil awhile back, when I posted the Amsoil/Moly post and there response was that it is not compatible with our long drain formulation. This is the only way Amsoil can stay in business. They are the only ones that "have to" claim 25K drains bc they need something to distinguish themselves from the others. I use Amsoil and Mobil 1. Both are great. I'm not partial to any one brand. There are things I like about Amsoil, such as it's superior cleaning abilities and things about the new Mobil 1 SS, such as the adition of Moly. But 25K mile drains is out of the picture for me. I would rather change my oil every 5-7K using an oil that will give better wear protection, then try to go 25K miles on the oil.

[ December 29, 2002, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

How in the devil did this topic get onto amsoil?(again) The topic was Torco.

Speaking of which, Torco is a very popular M/C oil used down here in the south. That along with Motul. I'm not sure that Torco is currently api certified for newer cars but I do know, many like the oils for the bikes. Then also, I do know many that don't that put real heavy demands on this oil and tend to exhaust the base oil inside of 1500 miles of "hard" driving(in a M/c not a car) and state it has a burnt smell to it in that given time.

I cannot speak in technical terms for this oil other than what I hear/see from other users of the product.

The only place to buy torco is through motorcylce shops around here.

It drifted off topic slightly bc of the zinc/moly relationship....
smile.gif
stated in mikeyoilnutt's post.

[ December 29, 2002, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

The burnt smell is the clutch discs. Run em hard enough all will do it.The older factory works bikes had a dry clutch for racing,,I have not been to Daytona in years so don't know it they are still doing this or not.
Yep seems like I need to work on Buster a bit more
smile.gif
,,Amsoil in every thread .

Buster,,look for new topic in generel section on tennis shoes. See if you an wiggle in Amsoil some how
tongue.gif

[ December 29, 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

mikeyoilnutt,

Your post sat for three days without a reply,I merely brought it to the top for ya,then it got some play

Torco has been around for years. I had some of that oi from a 1970's Yamaha Motorcyle. Thats was the dealer was pushing at that time. Came in a 1/2 quart can, if I am not mistaken just like the Briggs and Stratten oil I got with a Ariens snowblower some 10 yrs back. It seems thier nich is the small engine market.

[ December 29, 2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back