Torco 5/20 too thin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still a little fanatic about these 20 weight oils .

I went to a Honda site and saw that the 5/20 was only a 7.3 at 212 F .

Because of it being so thin would it probably have a greater amount of moly to protect under extreme conditions ? It is thinner by far than other 20 weights I have been looking at .

HTHS viscosity is more important than kinematic viscosity if you want to compare how thick or thin an oil is in a working engine. Mobil 1 0w-20 is the thinnest oil I've seen in that respect, with a HTHS of 2.61cP--right at the bottom limit of 20-weight.

Can the Torco racing oils (SR-5) be used in street vehicles, and for extended intervals? It is my understanding that other racing oils, such as RedLine and Royal Purple, lack detergents required for street use?

Torco's SR-5 oils only have TBNs of 5.2, so they're not going to work well with extended drains like the other synthetic 20wts.

We have been using Torco products for many years. The 0W-20 for over a year in my sons Ford DOHC 2.0 Zetec. My son is now using their SR-1 5W-20 oil. So far, so good. At less than $5 a qt. DELIVERED to your door for a top quality designer oil? Forgetaboutit. Load up!
cheers.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004340

[ December 28, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Here,s the response I got from Torco regarding HTHS #'s for the SR-1 lineup:

Scott,

Unfortunately we have not made available High temperature High Shear figures for our SR-1 line up. It is very very expensive and does not tells us enough additional info to justify spending more money on that form of testing.

Thanks

Eric

Torco Racing Oils

So, looks like the jury is still somewhat out for Torco. I'd really like to see this number so as to
compare it to Redline.

S

A company that calls themselves Torco racing oils but then decides the HTHS number is of no value to them??
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Scotto:
Unfortunately we have not made available High temperature High Shear figures for our SR-1 line up. It is very very expensive and does not tells us enough additional info to justify spending more money on that form of testing.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Probably one of the single most important indicators of how well an oil is constructed and they can't justify it?
rolleyes.gif

Someone posted awhile back asking what "snakeoil" is. In the next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, I'm sure you will find "Torco" given as an example under the entry.
grin.gif

Looks like I'll be doing a uoa as that will be the most reliable method of determining any wear prevention value.

I must say, I am a bit disappointed in a company that says it doesn't have HTHS #'s for there oils.
I'm even less comfortable since I'm running it in car right now.

Live and Learn, as they say,

Scotto

SAE J300 requires at least a 2.6 high-shear/temp number for a SAE 5w20 oil.

U/VOAs are needed to make any judgement calls on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back