Topped off my buddy's 4-runner, 1 GALLON low! ***?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I mean, really, how tough are the basics for girls that can do calculus, beat my *** at chess, whip me on video games, snake me out of every $1 in my wallet, write award winning essays, build stuff, win the cover design contest for school annual, and generally make most men and boys look foolish (self 100% included)?

My sister is getting her masters degree in Mathmatics this spring. She knows how to check the oil. Does that mean she will do it? No.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I wonder how many of these people passed drivers' ed in school?

Are you assuming that they teach things like this in Drivers Ed.? It takes very little knowledge to get a driver's licence in most states. If you can get a car down the street without hitting anyone, you can get a drivers license in MN.

crushedcar.gif

-T

It's not that unusual. I swear every time I go to my BMW mechanic a customer will pull in and say the engine sounds funny and it is because the car is 2-4 quarts low on oil. It amazing more of them don't blow up.

Cary

Some of those people are brillant at what they do best, but for whatever reason when it come to car maintaince they become "impared", as the original poster putted it. I guess it is just a matter of priority. To some a car is more of an appliance and car maintance is a chore they can't be bothered with.

[ June 11, 2004, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: HolesInTheHead ]

I guess I am neglectful of sorts.

See I got a good idea of my VW Golfs oil consumption over the first 10,000 miles which is the reason I rarely check it. Over the past 28,500 miles my Golf TDI has consumed maybe 3/4-1 quart of motor oil so I am not stressing too much about not checking my oil frequently.

cool.gif
Just last Sunday I'm waxing my wife's new car and my neighbor across the street, a very religious sort, was putting front brakes on a rusty and battered Dodge Caravan for a lady at his church. He does this kind of stuff free. He finishes up, I holler over "How about we check the oil?" Pull the dipstick, zero-zip-nada oil.
shocked.gif
Check it again, same result. I poured in a soup of what I had lying around, half qt of Max Life, half qt of Havoline, about 1 1/2 qts left in the jug of the good Mobil 1.
worshippy.gif
That got it UP TO the Add mark. Thing is, she obviously didn't have a lot of money to spare on car care but neither do I think she can afford a new one if and when this one blows up.
dunno.gif

I had a friend with a late 90's dodge ram v8 magnum 318 CI truck. After riding with im on the highway going high speeds, I asked what oil he was running. His response was, I don't know, I never check it because the hood won't open. I convinced him to let me try to get the hood open at a gas station to check the oil level ( I don't like walking ) Sure enough it was about 2.5 quarts low. Of course he bought some white label unknown 10w30 oil and poured it in. Its amazing the abuse an engine will take. Plus he still owes $9,000 on the truck. His oil filter was rusting badly too, so I guess he don't know that oil and filters need changing.

My sister -in -law years ago had an old audi diesel wagon. She came over one day and I ask her when the last time she changed her oil was. I" I dunno" was her reply. I ask her if I could change it for her and she said no first. I convinced her to let me so i took it out to the shop and put it up on stands and pulled the plug. NOTHING, I stuck a screw driver up in the hole and I got about a quart of thick black as ink oil out. I filled it with diesel and ran it for a few minutes and draned it, I still had to stick the screw driver up in it a couple of times to get the diesel out. I thought I should see if the filter hole was open and when I took the filter off it was a solid chunk of goo. I put the new filter on and I did this two more times. then changed the filter again and filled with oil and one quart of diesel and took it out and ran it for about ten miles, then drained it again. Still black as tar, Drained it and added a new filter again and filled with oil. I still can`t believe the engine was even running. Probably the last oil change it ever got.

my oldest sister which is 33 btw has a penchant of buying new SUV's every two years. I know she bought a Jeep cherokee 4.0 sport the last year they made them. Well she had to drop me home one time, as I always do, I look over at the quickie lube oil change sticker and compare it to the odometer. 7k miles since last oil change and it was plain ole valvoline dino. The vehicle was maybe 1-2 yrs old at the time. Then last year, she traded it in for a new 03 Chevy tahoe with 5.3L v-8. We rode together to a bowling tournament. Well I had to wait around for awhile, I was hungry, so she let me drive her truck to get some food. Well, the vehicle had only 7687 miles on it. I remember the number because right below it in digital blue letters says "Oil change now" or something to the effect. When I get back, I ask her about it. She said she never changed oil yet in a new car. Imagine that, almost 8k on factory fill in a chevy v-8 engine, this vehicle cost her at least 30k. I give her a lecture about it and get's my bro in law to take it to the dealer for oil change. Now she's eyeing a new Toyota Sequoia. Here I am driving beaters and checking the fluids once a week.

[ June 12, 2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back