Topped-off my 5w-20 Factory-Fill with Syntec 5w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda funny, but my break-in is over at 600 miles. I used minimal oil, 1/2 quart...probally due to a shot of ARX in there. I wanted to top-off and thicken the oil a hair without hurting CC. I had a leftover 1/2q of Syntec 5w-50 that I dumped in. (what else would I end up doing with it, seemed perfect) So, the engine was instantly smoother, revved not more freely, but smoother. 5w-50 as an additive? Anyway, this makes me lean more toward an oil thicker than 20 weight for general use.

When hot, it seems that your mix is now about a 21, instead of a 20.
It could be smoother because the engine has simply broken in .

Like I stated before, I put Techrolene in my tank last time I filled up. The car had so much more power from cleaning it out, I hurt my neck accelerating out of the gas station. It doesn't matter than the techrolene didn't have time to even GET to the engine yet...I felt it!
lol.gif

It reminds me of the first time I pumped up my own bicycle tire. It really wasn't very low, but, I did it anyway. I did such a good job, I could tell I was actually riding HIGHER off the ground! Then, I looked back at the tire and noticed it was dead FLAT.

Needless to say, I NEVER trust a "seat-of-the-pants" dynomometer. Nor do I believe a half a quart of 5-50 immediately smoothed out your engine, nor made it rev smoother. Better check and see if that tire is flat....

Auto-Union. I would of done the same thing.
I don't like 20 weight oil. By adding 1/2 a
quart of 5w50, the viscosity is probably like
a 5w30. At your first oil change,use a 5w30
oil if it's ok with the dealer. If not, you can
always add a little 5w50. I'll never tell.
grin.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

PS I had some NAPA 20w-50 next to it. That stuff would berely even pour, I could see how that would change the start-up visc thicker, but it was a surprise how much effect the Syntec had. If it were you noob guys making the observation, I would not re-attribute it to delusions. That's kinda rude. [/QB]

Don't mean to be rude, but, my ** meter pegged out. Direct observation that a 20w-50 will berely(sic) pour at a cold temperature is an acceptable observation, nooby or not. Saying 1/2 quart of a thicker oil made a nearly miraculous change in smoothness, etc., I don't buy it for a second. Again, not trying to be rude, just being straightforward. Sorry if it seems rude to you.

Ok, it's just that there's a nicer way to say the same thing. I doubt it had much overall effect on the visc too, that's why I'm so surprised it made >percievable< difference. BTW- there's a lot of subjective observations on this site. It's important to respect people's observations until there's unrealistic or outlandish claims.

AU, I don't doubt your findings whatsoever. Some people may not see the differences as so much depends on the design of the car. Just changed to M1 5w-30 SM (11.1 cSt) from PZ 5w-20 SM (8.5 cSt) in my old Saturn last night, now it's noticeably quieter!

Then again, I *must* be dreaming it all up!
wink.gif

I put 1 qt. of Syntec 5W-40 in an 01' Civic that had GC already in the crankcase (but was 1 qt. low), and the sound of the engine definately changed during highway driving according to what my 2 ears told me. So I totally believe what you observed since 5W-50 is a whole heck of a lot different than the 20 weight already in your engine.

I totally agree that the sound of the engine can change when a significant portion of the oil is changed...especially when the oil viscosity has changed significantly.

Drain and save a half quart or full quart from the engine (depending on your previous subjective experience). Then start up the car and try to get a feel for how it's running. I'll bet that it seems to run better once you top it off again?

The extra 1/2 quart alone makes a difference, as Tosh said. I have 2 oils on-deck for this car to try. Havoline Synth 5w-30 and M1 0w-30, I'm sure it would be silky smooth with GC...and I have that stocked as well. Maybe I'm a little more tempted to try that now too.

I didn't even know Havoline makes a Synthetic 5-30. That's good to know...after all, I will eventually run out of GC! Mineral oil Havoline 5-30 is one of my favorite mineral oils. I use it as a break-in oil, before changing over to a synthetic after several thousand miles (although, it may not be necessary to do that, it's what I do).
rolleyes.gif

They have a semi-syn too. Kinda wierd, since all their oils are pretty much HC. What's the point in paying for semi, when their regular is basicly the same?

Guys, hello...it's ME!!! I'm not going to post some subjective B-S. It really started and ran smoother. I have not driven in a few days due to snow, but seriously, it had an effect. I was actually considering MLEP or VSOP, but the Syntec 5w-50 actually did the trick. PS I had some NAPA 20w-50 next to it. That stuff would berely even pour, I could see how that would change the start-up visc thicker, but it was a surprise how much effect the Syntec had. If it were you noob guys making the observation, I would not re-attribute it to delusions. That's kinda rude.

I changed the factory fill oil early in an '82 Peugeot and two days later I was served with divorce papers. Definitely should've left that oil in longer...

The only time I've truly felt the butt dyno is when I changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor in my '92 Ranger at 100K. I actually barked the tires the first couple of times I let the clutch out because I was used to giving him a certain amount of gas pedal to get rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back