Topped-off my 5w-20 Factory-Fill with Syntec 5w-50

Kinda funny, but my break-in is over at 600 miles. I used minimal oil, 1/2 quart...probally due to a shot of ARX in there. I wanted to top-off and thicken the oil a hair without hurting CC. I had a leftover 1/2q of Syntec 5w-50 that I dumped in. (what else would I end up doing with it, seemed perfect) So, the engine was instantly smoother, revved not more freely, but smoother. 5w-50 as an additive? Anyway, this makes me lean more toward an oil thicker than 20 weight for general use.

Like I stated before, I put Techrolene in my tank last time I filled up. The car had so much more power from cleaning it out, I hurt my neck accelerating out of the gas station. It doesn't matter than the techrolene didn't have time to even GET to the engine yet...I felt it! [LOL!] It reminds me of the first time I pumped up my own bicycle tire. It really wasn't very low, but, I did it anyway. I did such a good job, I could tell I was actually riding HIGHER off the ground! Then, I looked back at the tire and noticed it was dead FLAT. Needless to say, I NEVER trust a "seat-of-the-pants" dynomometer. Nor do I believe a half a quart of 5-50 immediately smoothed out your engine, nor made it rev smoother. Better check and see if that tire is flat....

Auto-Union. I would of done the same thing. I don't like 20 weight oil. By adding 1/2 a quart of 5w50, the viscosity is probably like a 5w30. At your first oil change,use a 5w30 oil if it's ok with the dealer. If not, you can always add a little 5w50. I'll never tell. [Big Grin] [Cheers!]

quote:
PS I had some NAPA 20w-50 next to it. That stuff would berely even pour, I could see how that would change the start-up visc thicker, but it was a surprise how much effect the Syntec had. If it were you noob guys making the observation, I would not re-attribute it to delusions. That's kinda rude. [/QB]
Don't mean to be rude, but, my ** meter pegged out. Direct observation that a 20w-50 will berely(sic) pour at a cold temperature is an acceptable observation, nooby or not. Saying 1/2 quart of a thicker oil made a nearly miraculous change in smoothness, etc., I don't buy it for a second. Again, not trying to be rude, just being straightforward. Sorry if it seems rude to you.

Auto-Union

Ok, it's just that there's a nicer way to say the same thing. I doubt it had much overall effect on the visc too, that's why I'm so surprised it made >percievable< difference. BTW- there's a lot of subjective observations on this site. It's important to respect people's observations until there's unrealistic or outlandish claims.

AU, I don't doubt your findings whatsoever. Some people may not see the differences as so much depends on the design of the car. Just changed to M1 5w-30 SM (11.1 cSt) from PZ 5w-20 SM (8.5 cSt) in my old Saturn last night, now it's noticeably quieter! Then again, I *must* be dreaming it all up! [Wink]

JAG

I put 1 qt. of Syntec 5W-40 in an 01' Civic that had GC already in the crankcase (but was 1 qt. low), and the sound of the engine definately changed during highway driving according to what my 2 ears told me. So I totally believe what you observed since 5W-50 is a whole heck of a lot different than the 20 weight already in your engine.

I totally agree that the sound of the engine can change when a significant portion of the oil is changed...especially when the oil viscosity has changed significantly.

Drain and save a half quart or full quart from the engine (depending on your previous subjective experience). Then start up the car and try to get a feel for how it's running. I'll bet that it seems to run better once you top it off again?

Auto-Union

The extra 1/2 quart alone makes a difference, as Tosh said. I have 2 oils on-deck for this car to try. Havoline Synth 5w-30 and M1 0w-30, I'm sure it would be silky smooth with GC...and I have that stocked as well. Maybe I'm a little more tempted to try that now too.

I didn't even know Havoline makes a Synthetic 5-30. That's good to know...after all, I will eventually run out of GC! Mineral oil Havoline 5-30 is one of my favorite mineral oils. I use it as a break-in oil, before changing over to a synthetic after several thousand miles (although, it may not be necessary to do that, it's what I do). [Roll Eyes]

Auto-Union

They have a semi-syn too. Kinda wierd, since all their oils are pretty much HC. What's the point in paying for semi, when their regular is basicly the same?

Auto-Union

Guys, hello...it's ME!!! I'm not going to post some subjective B-S. It really started and ran smoother. I have not driven in a few days due to snow, but seriously, it had an effect. I was actually considering MLEP or VSOP, but the Syntec 5w-50 actually did the trick. PS I had some NAPA 20w-50 next to it. That stuff would berely even pour, I could see how that would change the start-up visc thicker, but it was a surprise how much effect the Syntec had. If it were you noob guys making the observation, I would not re-attribute it to delusions. That's kinda rude.

The only time I've truly felt the butt dyno is when I changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor in my '92 Ranger at 100K. I actually barked the tires the first couple of times I let the clutch out because I was used to giving him a certain amount of gas pedal to get rolling.