topdon battery test results

I tested the battery in my 2019 Honda Ridgeline, the original battery. The truck was built in January 2019 so the battery is at least four years old. It is a 620 CCA battery according to the label. The Topdon showed 100% healthy and 730 CCA.
How is that possible? I did input 620 CCA before starting the test.
I also tested an Advance Auto battery in my tractor, approximately eight years old. It showed 63% healthy. And the five year old 150 CCA in my zero turn mower was 15%.
battery.jpg

Batteries are often delivered with more capacity than their nameplate, to allow for some level of degradation. Impedance is also very temperature and state of charge dependent (if you have a surface charge on it the results probably wont be right), and these testers dont actually measure a conduction voltage under a high rate discharge. So it is a bit of a guesstimate. In theory, if the tests are done under reasonably consistent conditions, over time they can be reviewed relative to each other.

This is why load testing still has value. Its bigger and not as straightforward as this little gadget, but it shows actual voltage drop under load...

The truck had sat overnight, so surface charge should not be an issue, correct? I use a battery minder 1500 on all my batteries periodically, I wonder if that is helping.

I mean, how much do you drive the truck? How often do you charge the battery? How hot is the climate?

Battery life is based on many variables, so it is possible that it's still a perfectly good battery.

Does that Ridgeline have an AGM battery? A lot of those cheap testers will not give accurate readings on those or will read inconsistently. I have one tester that consistently puts AGM batteries about 250-300cca higher than other testers for example.

I posted this in another recent thread that may be of interest to you as well: "On average, a new battery's CCA as measured by a Midtronics tester will read 10-15% higher than its stated rating"

The 2019 Ridgeline has a traditional flooded lead acid battery, not AGM.
I believe Honda started putting AGM batteries in the 2020 models.

The truck had sat overnight, so surface charge should not be an issue, correct? I use a battery minder 1500 on all my batteries periodically, I wonder if that is helping.
Depends upon the parasitic load. On some of my older cars the overpotential due to a surface charge can last days. But they’re very simple cars.

Back