Top-up with Castrol HM or Peak dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need advice from oil gurus. My Saturn SL1 burns a quart to 1.5 quarts per 4K to 5K-mile OCI. Not bad for a Saturn.

It's about 1,600 miles since a fill of PZ HM. It's only down a few ounces now but I will need to add a quart at some point before the next oil change. I have two quarts of Peak dino ready to go---but today I acquired a quart of Castrol GTX HM from Kmart, using SYW surprise points with so many restrictions oil was about the only thing I could get with them.

Have not used Castrol in years and did not need oil but it cost 15 cents.

So which oil should I use to top up when the time comes? Both are 5w-30.

Castrol is semi-syn and HM; Peak is dino and not HM. Both are API SN. (Peak is also GF-5; the Castrol site says it is too but that's not listed on the bottle.)

Or does it matter at all?

Thanks.

Doesn't really matter, but I'd probably use the Castrol since it's a HM oil and won't dilute the HM aspect of the Pennzoil if you know what I mean.

I've learned this on here and it totally makes sense. When you drain the oil out if your car there is always some oil left behind. Can be 1/4 to 3/4 of a quart left behind. Well if you or I decide to run a different oil than the one that was just drained out then we are mixing two oils there. So, if it's ok in that instance then it would be fine to mix in 1/2 later on as well. In the end of it all you will be just fine doing this.

Thanks, bbhero. I have no problems mixing oils, though I stick to the same grade. As you say that's all but unavoidable. My question is whether the Castrol would mix better with the PZ HM in the sump now, since both are HM, plus whatever additives they include.

I am still learning about oil. Lots of fun stuff to study here.

I think it's fine either way. The Castrol would be my first choice just because I like Castrol. And I agree with you... it's fun to learn about stuff on here
smile.gif

I haven't run hardly any high mileage oils in my cars.. my Altima has 165k miles and I've run Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage in it one time. That's all the HM it has seen. I am thinking about trying Valvoline Maxlife at some point in there.

Last edited:
Either would be fine. Last change on my S-series was 3qts of Havoline 10w-40 and 1 qt of Mobil 5w-30 conventional (just happened to be what I had around) and the car seems quite happy. Don't sweat mixing.

Castrol edge HM. there is no finer oil. $25 small at WW...
Pennzoil hm is also excellent.
I would do some if not all Castrol Edge HM just to get the benefit of iron titanate coating my engines innards..
Takes about 500 miles for it to penetrate.. and the coating it leaves may last up to 50,000 miles..

It contains loads of trinuclear moly. calcium for strong bones and teeth, boron and TT titanium.

I have looked at Just about all of the popular mainstream oils and nothing is as complete.

Answer to question. love gm btw...

I would do some if not all Castrol Edge HM just to get the benefit of iron titanate coating my engines innards..
Takes about 500 miles for it to penetrate.. and the coating it leaves may last up to 50,000 miles..

It contains loads of trinuclear moly. calcium for strong bones and teeth, boron and TT titanium.

I have looked at Just about all of the popular mainstream oils and nothing is as complete.

how many miles on that puppy? what engine ?

Thought on cleaning the ring packs up to further reduce oil consumption....

It is a myth that transmission fluid has more detergent in it that oil. why would anyone think that?
Transmissions are a closed system with nothing coming in to contaminate !!

Diesel oil has a lot of detergent.

You wanna clean your engine out the safe way.? run a light weight oil like castrol edge high mileage 0w20 or 5w20.

Run it for around 500-1500 miles. then change it for whatever you like. castrol edge is the best though.

If you want to use a safe potion try >>stp gumout multi engine
When you have room add 8 to 10 oz.

when it gets dirty change it. Please remember no oil in the world will ever handle acid build up beyond 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: jarad248

It is a myth that transmission fluid has more detergent in it that oil. why would anyone think that?

Its goes back to WWII when the only oils were non-detergent.

Either would not be as fine as GTX HM and Peak are very different oils in their makeup.

The Peak is a high sodium oil like the Valvoline/NAPA oils. I'd mix those two no problem....but not among the high Calcium SOPUS oils.

GTX HM is much more similar to Pennzoil HM as both are higher calcium, no sodium, no magnesium oils. Why mix in a weak Peak Calcium add pack to your High Ca Pennzoil HM? Save the Peak for your lawnmower or your next Valvoline oil change.

What in the ever loving [censored]?

OP: You can top up with anything and that oil isn't going to change a thing. A few ounces of dollar store oil or Amsoil isn't going to make or break anything.

Originally Posted By: jayg
OP: You can top up with anything and that oil isn't going to change a thing. A few ounces of dollar store oil or Amsoil isn't going to make or break anything.

+1

how many miles on that puppy? what engine ?

About 136K miles. It's a 1.9L SOHC 4-cylinder that makes only 100 h.p. but gets great gas mileage if driven carefully.

Nearly all Saturn S-series cars burn oil. Mine burns less than most---'much' less when using a quality HM oil like M1-HM or PZ-HM. The oil burning is not linear. For the first 2K miles it's but a few drops. Maybe closer to 3K miles with M1. But once it starts to burn oil the rate increases. So if it burns a hair more than a quart in a 4K- or 4,500-mile OCI most of that will happen in the last half or last third of the interval.

With that good-for-Saturn consumption I see no need for MMO or Seafoam, etc. Maybe someday if things get worse. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Either would not be as fine as GTX HM and Peak are very different oils in their makeup.

The Peak is a high sodium oil like the Valvoline/NAPA oils. I'd mix those two no problem....but not among the high Calcium SOPUS oils.

GTX HM is much more similar to Pennzoil HM as both are higher calcium, no sodium, no magnesium oils. Why mix in a weak Peak Calcium add pack to your High Ca Pennzoil HM? Save the Peak for your lawnmower or your next Valvoline oil change.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks---and also thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Originally Posted By: jayg

What in the ever loving [censored]?

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back