top tier has nothing to do with octane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FaronJ
Holiday-Stations are a little different.
* All 3 Octane-levels are "Certified Top-Tier" cleaning fuels.

Holidays TT info....

Faron

That is one of the stipulations for Top Tier certification. In order for a brand to market their gas as Top Tier, all grades of gas offered by the brand must meed Top Tier specifications.

Way back in the early '90s when I was a gasine blendineer and Top Tier didn't exist, branded premium got a double dose of detergent additive at the truck rack for marketing. I doubt the difference is that extreme now with Top Tier fuels.

My understanding is that high octane fuels need more cleaners because they run inherently dirtier. Octane boosters inhibit fuel ignition and could leave more deposits. This could be why higher octane fuels tend to be top tier and regular fuels are not.

Originally Posted by rshaw125
In one way he is right. Shell has their full on cleaners in their 93 octane not their 87.

No Shell does not. V-power it was advertised as to having 5x the detergents then a leading premium fuel. Now the advertising is focused on clean, rust inhibition, and less wear.

No where in the advertising does it mention amount of detergents over its other Top-Tier blends.

Originally Posted by dave1251
In one way he is right. Shell has their full on cleaners in their 93 octane not their 87.

No where in the advertising does it mention amount of detergents over its other Top-Tier blends.

Really? Are my old eyes deceiving me or didn't they say:
"Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular."

When I wrote to Petro Canada about their Ethanol content etc. They came back in their response that their Regular grades (87 Octane) has 10% ethanol but also have enough cleaners in them to maintain a clean fuel system and that it meets the top-tier standard and that their premium (91 Octane) which has 0% ethanol had more cleaners in it than required by the Top-Tier fuel standard and would clean a dirty fuel system as well as maintain it.

Maybe this is why? The way fuel brands are communicating with customers and what they might be doing differently in their premium fuels along with higher octane...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
My understanding is that high octane fuels need more cleaners because they run inherently dirtier. Octane boosters inhibit fuel ignition and could leave more deposits. This could be why higher octane fuels tend to be top tier and regular fuels are not.

Data?

Links?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
There is a common conception, may be true, maybe not, that 93 fuel has more cleaners in it. Perhaps the EPA doesnt mandate it, perhaps the dosing requirements for top tier dont delineate, but it is sold to the public that way. Look at Shell. You can get regular... Or you can get 93 V-power with wonderful glossy photos showing how it cleans injectors and valves.

Ill be the first to blame a "service manager" for lots of things... But this common misconception is not one of them.

And based upon my reading of the OP, its not clear that the service manager was selling a service or anything...

Actually there was a look into this about gasoline... Shell 93 had like 31 mg per 100 ml of additives.. Shell 87 was like 16 mg per 100 ml of additives.

And Exxon and BP were the same... More additives in their 93 vs 87...

full-37575-1413-screenshot_2016_08_19_17_28_14.png

full-37575-1412-screenshot_2016_08_19_17_28_19.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldmaninsc
Originally Posted by dave1251

Really? Are my old eyes deceiving me or didn't they say:
"Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular."

Ahh yeah... You are correct.

More in 93 vs 87.

One thing of note... 87 Shell, Exxon or BP all exceed the top tier amounts needed by a good margin.

Just that the 93 really exceeds it by a decent bit more.

Originally Posted by oldmaninsc

They never really quoted an amount or a ratio versus their own regular, which I believe is what dave1251 was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back