Top Tier Gas...Marketing or Truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

Is it a market hype more than anything or do they have some valid points?

Comments are welcome.....

I think it is valid. Several automakers are behind it. Do I think it makes a big difference? Not really. I have been familiar with the top tier stations for several months now and I haven't gone out of my way to go to one over a non-top tier station. I also haven't paid a higher price to get top tier. But, if a top-tier station is among the lowest priced group... I will go to that one over another.

I'm wondering myself whether "top tier" is worth an extra penny, 2-cents, 3-cents?? a gallon. I haven't decided yet.

Truth. Never got more than 400kms out of a tankful in Mazda Turbo 626. With Shell Optimax Extreme 100 RON I can easily get 500kms around town and much better on a trip.

lots of people around the usa have run gas for decades that is not top tire rated, and their engines hold up just fine.

i think top tier is just a marketing ploy to try and set some brands of gasoline above the rest. because currently all the brands are so close that theres no real difference. so top tire brands can demand a premium for their product if they get the public to believe they really are better. they probably paid the oem car makers (or have some sort of deal with them, maybe to supply the first fills of gas on all new cars?) to put their name on the dotted line.

Also, just for clarification, I am talking about using standard gasoline, nothing higher than perhaps 93 octane.

It is real, trust me. My 2002 Jetta usually ran 92 octane. I usually use cheveron and shell, but one tank of Arco 92 off the highway killed it. Literally. The engine started knocking so bad that the car was slamming side to side. Sold the car a few days later after minimizing it with octane booster and cheveron.

I am not saying that Arco gas is all bad. But there's probably a reason why they are cheaper and not one of the top tier brands. Prehaps they saved on something called quality control?

My cars have *always* gotten better mpg (usually at least 2 mpg or more depending on car/engine/weather/etc.) with Amoco & Sunoco (neither are top-tier), Shell, and Chevron than with the other brands, e.g. Pilot, Flying J, Mom & Pop, Citgo, and around here, places like Kocolene, Moto, Thornton's, and Speedway/SuperAmerica.

If I would normally get 25 mpg, and I can get 27 mpg with better gas, that is an 8% gain, so in this case I could pay 8% more for gas and break even.

1. At $3.00/gallon, I could then pay $3.24 for better gas and probably have a cleaner fuel system to boot.
2. Rarely is the "better" gas 8% more...it's usually more like $.02 to $.10, so that means you would only have to gain .67% to 3% mpg.
3. For my money, it's better than a break-even: I'm money ahead, so it's WELL worth it! Of course, your results may vary!
wink.gif

(This is *my* logic, skewed as it may be.)

I don't think "engines holding up", as Master Acid mentioned, is really the issue of concern. It's more a matter of clean fuel systems and economy. I know mine is better because I've checked, literally, every tank of gas I've bought in the last 20 years...literally...did I mention literally?
grin.gif

Here's an interesting article that some of you may have seen...to me, it was very well-written by a highly-credentialed author and quite compelling . He doesn't mention "top-tier" specifically, but he does mention the quality of gasolines.

http://vettenet.org/octane.html

Given that the gas stations that qualify as "top tier" don't really advertise that fact, I wouldn't dismiss it as marketing out of hand. The ratings are assigned by a consortium led by 4 auto makers (GM, Honda, BMW, and Toyota) who at least in theory shouldn't be beholden to any particular oil company. For that matter, I notice that the tests include one performed on a VW engine, which lends further credence IMO to the objectivity of the program (IOW, the 4 manufacturers didn't skew the tests to their advantage).

However, since the retailers receive certification only if all 3 grades of gasoline sold at every retailer in the group meet the criteria, I suspect that "top tier" gas may be available from a much wider array of stations than what is suggested on their site. For instance, in Chicago, the only retail chains that are on the list that operate here are Shell and Phillips. There are a large number of independent shops and local chains who buy their gas from the larger refiners. Therefore, it isn't a given that continually using a gasoline not listed as "top tier" will lead to more engine deposits.

I bought my used accord and am sure that the PO used costco or other discount gas most of it's life, consequently now the IAC and EGR tubes are at least partially plugged if not fully in the case of the EGR tube. Not to mention the carbon on the piston tops. If top tier gas had been used instead I would bet that the situation would be better than it is. Until I tear into it I am hoping FP60 will at least help clean it up some.

The difference between "top tier" gas and vitamin supplements is that, at least as far as I can tell, the top tier gas doesn't cost any more than gas at other stations. Shell still charges a 1-2 cent premium over other stations (a vestige of the not-so-long ago days when Shell, Amoco, and Mobil attracted 10 cent premiums over other retailers), but the Phillips station near me is actually usually one of the cheaper stations.

Top Tier started to play a role in my life when my mother's Accord SE-i began to vibrate and idle low at stoplights...at only 25,000 miles. We took it to Honda, and $250 later they had cleaned the injectors and the fuel system. Their suggestion for that car's future was better gas, as my mother had always been guilty of buying the cheapest stuff she could find, regardless of where it was.
After that, and much griping from me, she started using Amoco Ultimate (not sure if it's on the top tier list or not) but that car was running like a champ at 80,000 miles when she sold it. Better quality, highly refined fuels can only benefit your engine, from the fuel pump to exaust valves to catalytic converters.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
How's my car, at 10:1 compression, get away with burning regular?

My engine has the same compression and runs just fine with *any* regular gas that I've bought as long as it's from a station that sells alot of fuel.

Never had a ping, plenty of power and fuel MPG in the mid 40s (over 44mpg last tank).
cheers.gif

I've used "top tier" and non top tier, no difference (power, MPG) except for price.
dunno.gif

My 1986 Jetta has never had an injector off or a problem with fuel system. It's never seen Top tier fuel in it's 275k+ miles.

Just buy your gas at a station that moves its fuel and you'll be fine.
patriot.gif

This has worked for me for many years and many engines, all without a single fuel related problem!
grin.gif

(I think of all the gallons of fuel that I've used over the years and even a few cents per gallon add up.. All for nothing *if* I spent the $$ for Top Tier)

I'll let others pay for the Marketing!
tongue.gif

quote:

What do you Americans mean by 'top tier'??

It's a level of fuel that some gas makers are promoting to get people to buy their fuel.

Read about it here --> Top Tier gas Marketing web site

Enjoy!
lol.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Here in OKC Conoco/Phillips gas is often some of the least expensive gas available but is rated top tier. It is the only gas I will use. Also several posters have commented on MPG, as I understand it top tier is all about keeping your fuel system clean not improving mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back