top tier gas brands

One thing I didn't see anyone address is octane adjustments for altitude. The Texas people on here should be familiar with that if you've been through hill country. We stopped at Phillips66 and Valero in NM and Texas advertising crazy low prices, but when I pulled in, the regular was 86 octane. Mid grade was 88 but 40c higher. Even the Shell had 86.I have read that at higher elevations in the Dakotas, 85 octane is offered. 86 may have worked until we got back down to sea level, but I wasn't taking any chances.

One thing I didn't see anyone address is octane adjustments for altitude. The Texas people on here should be familiar with that if you've been through hill country. We stopped at Phillips66 and Valero in NM and Texas advertising crazy low prices, but when I pulled in, the regular was 86 octane. Mid grade was 88 but 40c higher. Even the Shell had 86.I have read that at higher elevations in the Dakotas, 85 octane is offered. 86 may have worked until we got back down to sea level, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Depoends on the car. My wife's Civic's owner's manual says 86 minimum. I remember older cars where they approved of 85 at high altitude. But with forced induction that doesn't work since boost will force feed air up to a set pressure and detonation can still be an issue.

I fueled up at the local Phillips 66 today. No Top Tier signs on the pumps.

What's up with this?

What's up with this?

Depoends on the car. My wife's Civic's owner's manual says 86 minimum. I remember older cars where they approved of 85 at high altitude. But with forced induction that doesn't work since boost will force feed air up to a set pressure and detonation can still be an issue.
But “boost” is relative to something…say you get 18 psi of boost. Is that 18 PSI above ambient air pressure (reduced at altitude). Or 18psi above some fixed standard air pressure (14.7psi)?

If max boost is limited by a number above AMBIENT air pressure?…then octane required is reduced for turbo engines st altitude also..no?

But “boost” is relative to something…say you get 18 psi of boost. Is that 18 PSI above ambient air pressure (reduced at altitude). Or 18psi above some fixed standard air pressure (14.7psi)?

If max boost is limited by a number above AMBIENT air pressure?…then octane required is reduced for turbo engines st altitude also..no?

I haven't heard of any turbo where they made an octane rating allowance for higher altitudes. I don't fully understand all the math here, but it does have a chart showing atmospheric pressure.

I'm pretty sure that in the cylinder, the ambient pressure doesn't matter as much as how much the absolute pressure and temperatures are.

What's up with this?
Maybe they just wore off and never replaced them? I have noticed more Top Tier stations lately not having the logo on the dispensers. In my area Costco and ARCO are the cheapest known Top Tier gasoline brands, but I haven't seen the logo lately.

Phillips 66 advertises better than Top Tier

Yes, they do and are listed on the Top Tier website.

The Top Tier stickers are no longer on the pumps, though. That's the purpose of my question.

I've read several places now, the additives to turn regular gas into Top Tier have shortages. So the stations had to peel off the Top Tier labels to stay in accordance with standards and laws.

Maybe they just wore off and never replaced them? I have noticed more Top Tier stations lately not having the logo on the dispensers. In my area Costco and ARCO are the cheapest known Top Tier gasoline brands, but I haven't seen the logo lately.

Phillips 66 advertises better than Top Tier

The majority of the Top Tier brands I've seen around here don't use the logo at all. Costco is about it. I've seen something at 76 stations, but usually just on the main sign. But Chevron, Arco, Shell, Mobil, Exxon, Sinclair, Texaco, or Valero might use it in their advertising by name, but probably not any images. Arco is also a bit different in that their marketing is different by region since the rights belong to different companies.

y_p_w......your Top Tier link show this:
  • The TOP TIER™ logo must be prominently displayed.

1646444480664.jpg

Yes, they do and are listed on the Top Tier website.

The Top Tier stickers are no longer on the pumps, though. That's the purpose of my question.

I've read several places now, the additives to turn regular gas into Top Tier have shortages. So the stations had to peel off the Top Tier labels to stay in accordance with standards and laws.
So, basically, we are paying Top Tier prices for non-Top Tier gas? So we drive in, don't see the sticker, and drive to the cut-rate guy for 50c less?

So, basically, we are paying Top Tier prices for non-Top Tier gas? So we drive in, don't see the sticker, and drive to the cut-rate guy for 50c less?
Prices in this small one horse town are pretty consistent, Top Tier or not. Only Have 4 stations to choose from and they all seem to price match. Top Tier were Phillips 66, Amoco BP and QuikTrip. Non-Top Tier was Casey's General Store.

Now, NONE of them carry the Top Tier Logo on the pumps! I just keep on filling up at the Phillips 66. It was last to loose the logo and on my way to work. Might start adding some Techron to my tank, now and then. Phillips 66 is still listed on the Top Tier website, but missing the pump logo for some reason. Amoco BP is not longer listed Top Tier.

Our gas pumps just hit the $4.99 mark this weekend for Super blend. $4.50 for Mid blend. $4.09 for Regular blend. :cry:

Heard a CIRCLE K ad on the radio and states PREMIUM has double cleaning additives .
Ya a lot of Premium gasolines have more cleaning additives. In fact when gasoline brands are tested, they usually test the premium because of the enhanced additives.

In CA gas back down below $5. now.

Back