Top sales & Avg vehicle Wt's- US, UK, AUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool data! Where do you find it? Interesting that 9 of top 10 are cars in the UK. 69 month average term for financing, SMH. Priorities. Would be interesting to add mpg to the data.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Would be interesting to add mpg to the data.

That would bring complications.

U.K. reports would be in Imperial gallons, Australia's would be in litres per 100 kilometres and U.S. reports would be in U.S. gallons.

All three would have to be listed for each vehicle, introducing the likely possibility of conversion errors and would need another three columns of numbers.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Interesting, I like seeing what vehicles sell well in other parts of the world, but what's the significance of their weights?

The only significance I could see by publishing the weights is that it shows the US has heavier vehicles. That is caused by the purchasing of full size pickups which is unique to the US.

Links to resources:

US Sales
UK Sales
AUS Sales

To answer some of your questions:

I’m not a greenie or a missionary of any cause. The reason I bought my Yaris was my passion for small fun to drive cars. Gas mileage and eco responsibility were down on the list – if at all. I don’t need bags of horsepower but just enough to put the occasional smile on my face.

That was then. Now, I’m a little more concerned.

The US has always had a passion for pickup trucks. I get it. Sense of security, commanding driving position, durability, hauling/towing, and for some, image. Unfortunately the volume of larger vehicles on the road is mirroring that trend here too in Canada.
Large and small vehicles are a bad mix. Looking at the roofline or through the rear window of the vehicle ahead of you is the taught practice for safe driving and seeing down the road. Nowadays that’s increasing more difficult, if outright impossible. Even parking lots are problematic.

My other concern is not as prevalent but growing.

NA has focused more in the past on clean air and less over GHG and fuel efficiency like their European counterparts. Notwithstanding the proposed freeze on CAFE standards (did it pass?) from 2020-26 to, ostensibly, allow manufacturers to produce safer vehicles, what’s the end game? You can only squeeze so much fuel efficiency out of a LT/SUV weighing 4500 lbs. Will the US look at revamping CAFÉ to limit vehicle weight - like they should - than the silly confusing standards like vehicle footprints/type they have now? If they do, how will it affect the economy? What about GHG that the European market is taking seriously?

Let’s not forget, fuel efficiency, clean air and GHG’s isn’t the only issue. The depletion of resources used in producing a NA vehicle, for example, weighing 1300 lbs more on average than their UK counterpart should also raise eyebrows.

Yes, the need to purchase a large pickup for percieved hard work is a bit puzzleing for the rest of the world. If we need to get a vehicle to do real hard work, we get a real truck...that could be smaller than an American pickup. In Asia, Canter is a generic word for small truck, because the Mitsubishi Canter is the most popular. They are used for everything, hugely overloaded and abused, they do a real job. No one takes a Canter home to park in the drive to impress the neighbours.

Agreed. Here's the Hilux I mentioned in the original post. A very practical vehicle with a decent enough payload capacity. Here in Canada Toyota used to sell a similar bare bones vehicle but with a standard box. Put a cap on it an it was great for painters, electricians and the like where loading space was more important than load capacity. They haven't sold it here in awhile. Pity.

The Hi Lux has always been a big (biggest) seller here, but latest figures put it at half the Ranger sales numbers - perhaps the Ford buyers have heard the new Ranger is going to have a 2.0 4 cyl engine, dropping the 3.2 5 cyl diesel. Nearly all utes are double cab wellsides, but single cab flatdecks are next in line. 2wd not so common.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Very cool data! Where do you find it? Interesting that 9 of top 10 are cars in the UK. 69 month average term for financing, SMH. Priorities. Would be interesting to add mpg to the data.

Here you go tomcat27.

The figures I pulled are from fuelly.com. Their database is quite extensive so I would trust their real world figures. They were bang on with my car so there's that.

I didn't bother with the UK and AUS since I couldn't find a comparable website. No point in throwing darts.

The good news is those figures could be worse without CAFE. The bad news is the US' average fuel economy hasn't changed much in the last 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back