Top off ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, i have a Chevrolet Captiva, the tranny uses DEXRON VI compliant ATF, it is ok to top off with DEXRON III? Im asking this since where i live its hard to find DEXRON VI, and i need to top off a little. Thanks!

May not hurt, but probably not a good idea; Dexron III is not "forward compatible" with Dexron VI.

Perhaps more important: Why do you need to top off ATF in a vehicle as new as a Captiva?

Last edited:
I would say any possible harm (if there is any) that would come by topping off with DEX III is far outweighed by the harm of running low ATF levels.

Are we to assume you have leaks?

Get a new gasket and seals installed and you shouldn't need to top off.

What ATF products do you have access to in Ecuador?

Quote:
I would say any possible harm (if there is any) that would come by topping off with DEX III is far outweighed by the harm of running low ATF levels.

For sure.

Can you order Dexron 6 ? Can you do Amazon or one of the other internet vendors ?

Is there a GM dealer close enough to get Dexron 6 , there ?

I agree , if you have a leak , get it fixed & make sure the mechanic uses Dexron 6 . How much are you needing , any way ?

Just found this with a google search ;

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8...pe=54431_021017

Best of luck to you , :)
Wyr
God bless

What is the reason it runs low? Was there a leak or did you replace the radiator? I'll be more concerned about why it runs low.

Originally Posted By: ECUADOR4X4
Hi everyone, i have a Chevrolet Captiva, the tranny uses DEXRON VI compliant ATF, it is ok to top off with DEXRON III? Im asking this since where i live its hard to find DEXRON VI, and i need to top off a little. Thanks!

Do not top off with Dexron III.

The viscosity profile is completely different, as are the friction materials and additives in the formulas. Use a Dexron VI fluid.

Are you checking the fluid level when the tranny is at full operating temperature, engine running and on level ground? This could show a lower level if temp is not warm enough and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back