Top Gun Maverick

They already pushed the release date to Dec 23.

Looking forward to seeing it.

It was interesting reading some of the info about shooting the original Top Gun - they couldn't use any of the actual in-flight scenes because the actors were constantly throwing up.

In 1986 I was in the Marine Corps living in Ocean Beach down the road from Charlie's beach house where the love scene took place. Went to see the movie with my wife on my Honda 750 Super Sport, afterwards we replicated the kissing scene by the harbor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
They already pushed the release date to Dec 23.

Looking forward to seeing it.

It was interesting reading some of the info about shooting the original Top Gun - they couldn't use any of the actual in-flight scenes because the actors were constantly throwing up.

Bummer, I was looking forward to seeing it in June.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I think Tom Cruise actually pilots a F/A 18 in some of these shots.

Well that's the current plane they fly. There's an F-14 in the earlier preview. Only Iran flies F-14 these days. It'd be interesting to see if they just reused a shot or if it will really be in the movie.

Appropriate for this forum is a picture of aerobatic pilot Art Scholl, who crashed into the sea during filming of Top Gun.

[Linked Image]

The plot is a strike on Iran from what I gathered.
Trivia: the highest scoring jet ace is an Iranian pilot who shot down scores of Iraqi fighters and a few helicopters.

I'm going to predict after the airstrike on an Iranian target Mav gets into a dogfight with a F-14, gets sentimential, and allows the pilot to escape, possibly with a Blue Max salute.

The release has been delayed again.

Paramount has delayed its Tom Cruise tentpoles “Top Gun: Maverick” and “Mission: Impossible 7,” amid a surge in the delta variant of COVID-19.​
“Top Gun: Maverick” will now open in theaters on May 27, 2022, instead of Nov. 19, 2021, while “Mission: Impossible 7” will debut on Sept. 30, 2022, instead of May 27, 2022. As part of the studio’s announcement, “Jackass Forever” has been pushed back from Oct. 22, 2021, to Feb. 4, 2022.​

In 1986 I was in the Marine Corps living in Ocean Beach down the road from Charlie's beach house where the love scene took place. Went to see the movie with my wife on my Honda 750 Super Sport, afterwards we replicated the kissing scene by the harbor.
It was in Oceanside, by the pier. Ocean Beach is down by Sea World. Was still there until about 3 years ago. The KC BBQ place where they sang Great Balls of Fire is still there. Food is just OK.

I hope Lake Tahoe is still standing for the release of Maverick.

I don't know, as much as I love some of the original war movies of the 80s their remakes suck. So are most James Bonds.

Can't they make something with new ideas? Like, Austin Powers? It seems like all we have these days are remakes of remakes of remakes.

Love him or hate him, and whatever your views on his Scientology, Tom Cruise is one of the hardest working and risk taking probably billionares in the world. Dude stars in a dozen franchise films, does loads of his own stunts, is in a dozen iconic films, and is incredibly young and healthy. Action, comedy, drama, science fiction, the guy does it all. He's simply incredible.

Some of my absolute favorites: A Few Good Men, Top Gun, Risky Business, Collateral,

Others: Days of Thunder, Mission Impossible, Knight and Day, Rainman, Cocktail, Born on the 4th of July, Jerry McGuire, Jack Reacher, Color of Money, and many others and sequels.

I saw his current picture next to Val Kilmer, and they're peers. He looks 50. Kilmer looks like he's about 110 and near death.

Some of my absolute favorites: A Few Good Men, Top Gun, Risky Business, Collateral,

Others: Days of Thunder, Mission Impossible, Knight and Day, Rainman, Cocktail, Born on the 4th of July, Jerry McGuire, Jack Reacher, Color of Money, and many others and sequels.
Well if we keep going, we'll end up naming all the movies he's been in.

But you left out a few I also liked, not necessarily favorites: Legend, Interview with the Vampire, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, Valkyrie, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow. Too bad the Mummy bombed, good visuals but Tom is usually pretty good at picking good scripts and that wasn't one of them.

Oh and he's great in Tropic Thunder.

Back