Top gear America

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was flipping between Deadliest Roads and the Giants Game, and now Top Gear American and the game. Cool show.

I didn't go into it expecting it to be like the original. You just can't best Jeremy Clarkson.

It's really enjoyable, nonetheless.

As one who has watched the original for years, I was appalled. I would have appreciated at least some form of original thought. It's like they went back over original episodes, wrote scripts off of them and then acted them out. Word for word, action for action, step for step. The last thing this thing is, is original. Even the preview of what's coming in the next 10 weeks was identifiable from the British program, from beginning to end.

"Big star in a small car." Really? I was surprised that one of the turns on the test track wasn't called "the hammerhead". "We call him the Stig!" I was just waiting for something odd to come over the car stereo, but then I remembered that the ACR doesn't have one. I guess I'll have to wait 'til next week for that. Oh, wait, I won't because I'll be watching something less excruciatingly horrific.

I hope the people behind this travesty burn in "you know where"...

I watched it with my daughter last night. While I wasn't wishing for the production team to burn anywhere, I had feelings similar to rshunter above. Seemed like a cheap knock-off of the original.

My daughter, who is 12 likes it better than the original. I wonder if they are going for an audience that is not in love with the original Top Gear.

What I felt was missing was the chemistry between the presenters. So I'm withholding final judgment until after the first 10 episodes.

Much of what makes the BBC version of Top Gear so much fun to watch is how each of the presenters plays off one another.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
As one who has watched the original for years, I was appalled. I would have appreciated at least some form of original thought. It's like they went back over original episodes, wrote scripts off of them and then acted them out. Word for word, action for action, step for step. The last thing this thing is, is original. Even the preview of what's coming in the next 10 weeks was identifiable from the British program, from beginning to end.

"Big star in a small car." Really? I was surprised that one of the turns on the test track wasn't called "the hammerhead". "We call him the Stig!" I was just waiting for something odd to come over the car stereo, but then I remembered that the ACR doesn't have one. I guess I'll have to wait 'til next week for that. Oh, wait, I won't because I'll be watching something less excruciatingly horrific.

I hope the people behind this travesty burn in "you know where"...

I could stomach about 10 minutes of that poor excuse for the show. My wife, not a car nut, loves the BBC original; she could not stand the TG USA version. Flat, wooden performance; my dead grandma is a better actor than the US threesome. What about the stupid one-liner about the Stig? Can you come up with something funny? whay does it have to be Stig, in the first place?

Well I was flipping between that and the Giants game, and thought it was a cool show, that was very short lived. Shortly after I replied here, I changed my mind. Actually I don't think I'll be watching it anymore.

I watched it, didn't like it as much as the UK original. The hosts weren't very funny and the "video game chase" between the chopper and the viper is just plain stupid. Hiding in a carwash and going the opposite direction, and blend in with the traffic is just not what cars reviews are about.

First problem with the show? They did not pick me to host it.

Okay, that little bit of sour grapes aside, I tried watching it but it's not good.

The BBC version is almost as much an exploration of the male psyche as it is about all things wheeled and motorized. This one did neither of those things well.

Certain shows translate from the UK and arguably come out better on this side of the Atlantic. The Office for instance.
Certain things do not. They tried a USA version of The Young Ones and it was so bad it never made it past the pilot.
I think this is one of those shows that just isn't going to translate well.

It looked a lot like the first series of the UK version, i have all the current series of the UK version on my computer at home.

The hosts seemed to be ok, but if it were me i would replace Tanner Faust with Tony Stewart (at least he has personality) or Tommy Kendall and replace the Rutledge guy with Adam Carolla or Joe Rogan.

It was kind of okay. The cinematography and editing what "gee whiz" and good, but flat. They used some neutral density to darken the sky (for drama) but not as much as the BBC.

When one of the presenters (I'm bad with names) returns from a Lambo run, he hangs his head in shame in a perfect Hammond ripoff.

They licensed some "Doors" music that was not inappropriate. They're going to have to spend money, the BBC version blows through lots and it's worth it.

In the opening montage they're jumping a 1970's cadillac at what I hope, in an upcoming episode, to be a visit to Dave's farm. pleasepleaseplease!

I didn't care much for the hosts, but the show itself was better than I expected. I was expecting a train wreck. It seems like they cut Buzz's interview short... on the BBC version they seem to talk a lot more before getting to their lap time.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I didn't care much for the hosts, but the show itself was better than I expected. I was expecting a train wreck. It seems like they cut Buzz's interview short... on the BBC version they seem to talk a lot more before getting to their lap time.

The real BBC version doesn't have any commercials. When i look at the times on the shows I have on my computer they are all 58-59 minutes long with no interruption.

I watched it the first and last time,the host are terrible!
Maybe someone funny,knowledgeable and passionate about cars like Jay Leno would be type of personality for this American version.

Saw it.....regret wasting my time on it. No chemistry....no meaningful insight.....almost turned it off before it was over but I tried to give it a chance. With hope they will improve the whole show. Start by getting more interesting personalities. Those guys tried so hard to be funny that it was actually painful to watch.

"Jay Leno, who originally turned down offers to host the show, expressed concern over whether or not a show like Top Gear could be successful in America.[14][15] In a column published by The Sunday Times, Leno expresses concern that an American version could lack the critical reviews the British version is known for.[16] The British show is produced for the BBC with public funds while the American show will air on commercial television. Leno believes that the show may have to worry about offending current and potential sponsors by giving their products poor reviews, leading to a compromise in the journalistic integrity and freedom of the original show."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back