Top Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/Top Dog XDO.html

Cracked open my 20 litre of Gulf Western Top Dog XDO 15/40 today - I've had it for a couple of years,but needed to use up my stock of Penzoil Longlife.

This is for my Yamaha XT600 - they have a problem with 5th gear,wearing through the hardening on the teeth.So I like to run a HDEO in this bike,and Top Dog is Alison C4 rated....although clutch drag is more of a problem on these bikes than slippage.

Coincidentally my other bike,a Yamaha DT230 also wore out it's top gear (6th) in the same fashion as the XT600's do.So I'll be using it in the DT230 too once I change the Mitsubishi MSL out after running it in.

Are you much of a user of their oil ?

I picked some up (20W-50) locally a while back, and did a highly scientific "freezer" test...only oil I've ever seen solidify in the freezer this decade.

Not really - when I was in business one of my suppliers stocked Gulf Western,and if I was low on oil it was easier to get a couple of 20's in from them until I could get a tanker truck to deliver.I think the Top Dog might have been a mistake,or they were out of the usual HDEO we used as a fleet oil.

A lot of Aussie oils are so thick the US members of this site would have a heart attack.Penrite push 20/60 and 40/70 as if it's normal stuff.Maybe for the higher temps over there.But being air cooled I'm pretty happy to run a 15/50 in the XT600 if I can get it,15/40 is what I normally run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back