Top 6 OEM Passenger Tire Sizes in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/733163/3-new-sizes-crack-the-top-10-oe-passenger-tire-list

1. 225/65R17

2. 235/60R18

3. 275/55R20

4. 235/45R18

5. 235/40R19

6. 245/60R18

According to the preliminary edition of the latest U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) Factbook, two sizes -- 235/45R18 and 235/40R19 -- cracked the list of top original equipment passenger sizes for the first time.

The top six OE sizes represented 20.7% of the total OE passenger tires shipped by USTMA members in 2018. (Another size, 235/65R18, also appeared on the Top 10 list for the first time. It was ranked ninth.)

On the replacement side, 225/50R17 replaced 225/60R16 as the sixth most popular size (225/60R16 dropped to seventh), while the third and fourth place sizes swapped positions.

It would not surprise me to see a 22" tire in the "top-6 list" five years from now.

Last edited:
So... you're saying the 14" wheels on my car aren't all that popular anymore?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Most will have a real sticker shock once all these huge tires need replacing.

The tires on my Ram are 265/70/R17 and they are expensive enough! No way I would want 19 or 20 inch tires!

Wide tires have increased rolling resistance.

Additionally those wide tires are more prone to hydroplane even when the tread is well above the TWI (tread wear indicators).

We have a worker here who tragically lost his daughter when her worn tires hydroplaned and she hit a truck. They were strapped for cash and trying to get by a little longer. The tires were above the TWI so tire condition is not the official cause of the crash. They want to blame the state because all the trucks wore the pavement and it was ponding a little. In reality, with the wide tires in heavy rain you have to slow down. People seem to be too ignorant to slow down, or they expect the ABS and stability control to save them. The decrease in driving skills and cell phone use with other distractions is troubling. And when it snows…… Yikes

I am not a fan of those tires regardless of cost.

Rod

... or hit a big pothole....

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

The tires on my Ram are 265/70/R17 and they are expensive enough! No way I would want 19 or 20 inch tires!

Same for the 4Runner...

So what are the least common? I need a 195/45/16 but they are hard to find used. They tell me it only came on one late model car. Brownie points anyone that can say what the car is.

Originally Posted by Imp4
The 20s are scandalously expensive....

Yep...super happy that my F150 uses 265/75R17's - -

Tires that size are as common as dirt and as cheap as good 15's were 15 years ago.

Originally Posted by atikovi
So what are the least common? I need a 195/45/16 but they are hard to find used. They tell me it only came on one late model car. Brownie points anyone that can say what the car is.

Fiat 500?

A google search turns up TONS of places that sell these tires!

No one mention make/model of car, though

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

Got that right!

Short sidewall, wide tires are a perfect way to ruin a car's ride comfort. 55-series seems to be about the sweet spot for my tastes in the tradeoff between handling prowess and road imperfection absorption. Plus, almost against common sense, the taller sidewall tires that give you more rubber and steel belting are actually cheaper to buy!

Once you get above roughly a 17"x7-8" wide rim, it's all just for appearance. There are really no additional capabilities that a larger or wider tire will deliver on the street. A 275/40/17 tire is more than enough to have to drive completely recklessly to exceed the performance that size can provide, plus, that is about the size where price seems to escalate exponentially. I'm actually kinda bummed that all of the new 2020 Subarus come with 18" rims across the lineups.

As far as winter goes, going down 1" in rim size and up 1-2 series in sidewall (so from a 50 to 60) along with reducing the tread with by a size or two (from say 245 to 225) is a proven way to improve your vehicle's winter handling when equipped with a 3MP or full winter tire.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Fiat 500?

[censored]! You musta did some kind of reverse search.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex

None that I see.

Originally Posted by Linctex

He's looking for used ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back