Top 5 Conventional/Dino Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/QB][/QUOTE]My friend used the 5w-30 driveclean and he told me this morning (15*F) that his engine was really hard to start and was "sluggish", he said it made screaching sounds inside.. NOT GOOD! [/QB][/QUOTE]

ok two things...it's really cold at 15 F..you sure it wasn't hard to start because of a dying battery?? screaching sounds reminds of a slipping serpentine belt.

quote:

Originally posted by batterycar:
Oh please. You probably spend $50 a month on beer. And don't try to deny it! I used to be a student.

Yeah... easily! And that $13.50 is that much more beer! Gotta have priorities!

Jokes aside, it's not like I invested in my truck- I bought it for $5K at about 60,000 miles, and have had it for 3 years and 100,000 miles. I figure that spending the money on synthetics at this point is casting pearls before swine- I plan to get another vehicle fairly soon(6 months to a year) after getting out of grad school. I figure that with this plan, I'm sure to make it that long on dino oil, and will have saved myself the balance in price between dino and synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by mark pruett:
I figure that spending the money on synthetics at this point is casting pearls before swine- I plan to get another vehicle fairly soon

(1) I started using Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic in my 150,000 mile car, and it stopped the oil leaks. And the car stopped overheating. It all depends on your situation.

(2) Keep your old truck. The dealership will only give you $500 for it, and it's nice to have a spare car in case the first car does not start. Better off keeping it.

(3) Make sure you use synthetic in your NEW car. When you consider that you burn ~$666* in gasoline every 10,000 miles... the extra $13 for synthetic is trivial.

* (How strange that my computation worked out to $666. 10000/300 *$20 = $666.66. Weird!)

[ January 24, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: batterycar ]

Batterycar, I like how you summed it up.
grin.gif

Given the cost of gasoline and beer, the cost of oil is trivial.

If we recycle responsibly it's just going to end up back on the shelves ar Wal-Mart anyway.

Cost of oil is a minor issue in the economic picture.

My ranger is a 4.0 1997. It has had a steady diet of Chevron Supreme 5W-30 with 6,000 to 8,000+ km changes. Doesn't use more than 300 ml in 6,000 km with 170,000 km on it.

I would use the Chevron Supreme 10W-30 and Delo 400 15W-40 for the summertime. Good oil and cheap.
cheers.gif
$13.50 will buy a case of premium beer around here.
cheers.gif
Gotta keep your priorities straight.
cheers.gif

The best conventional oil? Uhmm, how about 10W30. Chevron, Castrol, Pennzoil? Don't matter. All of those brand's 10W30 oil consistently put up better wear numbers than any of their (or each other's) 5W30 oil.

That's another way to look at it.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back