Tools you bought two or more of because it was so good.

As the title says, have you ever bought a tool that was so good or so useful you bought more of them? I have only done this a few times, I am not talking about screwdriver, pliers and stuff it is normal to keep multiples of but tools you would only have one of.

I will start with this, this cheap $10 tool is so good I will keep one for plastic to plastic usually interior and the other for metal to plastic clips and panels. It is Chinese but strong and really well finished, it removes hard to release clips on dash vents and plastic rocker moldings with ease and does not leave a mark even on mid 2000's sticky dash Japanese cars. I had to have another.
1634233509126.jpg

1) When the Stanley "Wunder Bar" (flat steel pry bar, nail puller, lifting aid etc.) came out I bought one for my Dad.
He sent me out the next day for 4 of them.

2) When an FRP digital caliper went on sale at HF I bought 3 (all family) as it was a PERFECT tool...affordable, correct throat, always in need.

3) In the '70's a smaller version of the Wunder Bar came out, the Pry Baby. Bought 4 of those....bought more since.

Astro pneumatics 1/4" long handled nano ratchet. Liked it so much I bought the 3/8" version days later.

Wera Tool-Check kit. Thought it was so awesome I bought my brother one for his birthday.

Neiko socket sets off Amazon. I've get several sets now.

Going back a long, long way, when points were normal and electronic ign was something you looked at, didn't know how it worked, so ignored it. We set points with the same feeler gauges we used for tappets, and everything else. Then I found ign points feeler gauges, nice and small and oh so good for setting points. I lost my first set (or someone else liked them too), and so next time got 2 sets. Mine are Matco.

ae235

I will buy most ANY type of oil filter wrench, that could benefit me in getting a stubborn oil filter off. I'm very careful regarding torque, and proper lubrication of the rubber seal / gasket. But in my years maintaining cars I've seen some real messes made from stuck oil filters, along with the disasters that followed with the butchery involved in trying to get them off.

So if I come across a oil filter wrench that could remotely become an asset in my tool box, I will purchase it immediately. Most are not that expensive, and if they are ever needed in a pinch, they'll be worth many times what I paid for them. Fortunately for me, most are still unused. And I hope they stay that way.

Ogs1JR7.jpg

yD6QLmd.jpg

I have four HF 25" Breaker Bars. One in my garage toolbox, and one in each of my three vehicles, in the event I get a flat on the road. I didn't buy them all at once, but for $10 each I couldn't see not having one in each car with a small extension and a 1/2" drive socket that fits the lug nuts for the vehicle.

My 1991 BMW motorcycle had the best tools I have ever seen come with a motorcycle. The 10mm closed in wrench was so thin and strong. So good I kept it and several of those tools from the set. After 30 years several of the tools were gone from being misplaced etc. so I did feel bad about keeping them. The toolkit on the new Beemer is a joke. Glad I have a nice older set of USA made Craftsman tools.

Reactions: Y_K
Too many to list but I’ll give you some.
2 - 3 ton jacks & a 2 ton
8 jack stands
6 Rhino Ramps(4 - 8k & 2 - 12k)
Way too many (varieties) wrenches, pliers, ratchets & sockets, saws

Only thing that happens on those is the wire will break on the circuit board making it not work well unless you push on the battery. Pretty easy to take apart and re solder though
Yup, already happened to one. Sent it in for repair, as it was a used one I bought off the truck. Helpful tip, if the case is “cracked”, they send you a complete new one for the price of a standard repair.

Note: it’s tough as hell to crack the plastic housing. LOL

Back