TOOLCRAFT BCG Nickel Boron

Last edited:
That's a good deal. Nickel Boron coated BCG's have really come down in price over the last few years. I really like the fact they clean up so easily. And the natural lubricity of Nickel Boron also helps. They look good too.

Does anyone ever see any good deals on bolts (only)?

I wouldn't mind picking up an extra quality one or two. Not so much re: price, but portability. I have a spare bcg but a bolt, the 99% failure point, with rings and a pin to ride in the grip storage would be nice.

So this is what I'm looking for in a bolt. Mainly, proper heat treating, shot-peening, and a well radiused cam pin hole.

Almost all BCG failures I've heard of are bolts breaking at the cam pin hole, much less occurrence is a lug breaking off. The cam pin hole is supposed to radiused to prevent cracks originating from the edges of the hole (like portholes, airplane windows, etc.).

I took apart several BCGs to examine the bolts. L to R below,

1) Older Colt SA bolt
2) new-ish BCA budget bolt (Bear Creek)
3) Recent S&W bolt
4) Recent Windham Weaponry Bolt
5) New PSA/Toolcraft bolt

Only the Colt was really radiused well. None of the others were. The BCA was just deburred slightly. The others were deburred a little more aggressively but not really radiused for maximum reliability. The PSA/Toolcraft and WW were slightly better. I expected the WW and Toolcraft to be better, frankly.

IMG-3859.jpg

Colt (properly done):
colt.jpg

Bear Creek (not well done):
bca.jpg

S&W - a "wee" bit better:
s&w.jpg

Windham (PSA/Toolcraft was about the same):
ww.jpg

PSA/Toolcraft:
psaToolcraft.jpg

The cam pin hole is the weak link in the bolt design. There really isn't much you can do to prevent a failure in this area. (Except carry a backup BCG). There isn't that much material. Deburring helps, but I've seen well radiused cam pin holes break as well.

The type of heat treating matters the most. Too hard and the bolt becomes very brittle in this area, and is far more likely to break. It only takes a couple of points of hardness on the "C" scale to cause this.

The thing to remember about bolt carrier groups, is most are made by just a few manufacturers for the entire industry.

The cam pin hole is the weak link in the bolt design.

Yep. That's why I'd like to just have a spare bolt. but at these prices, buying an entire BCG and (effectively) tossing the carrier seems the only reasonable option.

That new PSA/Toolcraft bcg will go in a 17 Design billet upper/lower for a 300 pistol, and I still have one new complete Anderson lower with no plans. So I need at least one more BCG and either a spare bolt or spare to BCG to harvest one. I plan on keeping the bolt in hand grip storage of the Windham MPC - a good M4 type "go-to" gun).

Here are some other good BCG deals right now; I saw them talked up on arfcom.

Surplus Arms in Montana, nitrided one for $70 delivered ($55 + tax and shipping):

https://www.surplusammo.com/product...-5-56-300aac-complete-bolt-carrier-group.html

Combat Armory in MI, similar but with phosphated bolt, $59 delivered (no tax and free shipping):

https://www.combatarmory.com/combat...-mil-spcc-bolt-carrier-group-made-in-the-usa/

Yep. That's why I'd like to just have a spare bolt. but at these prices, buying an entire BCG and (effectively) tossing the carrier seems the only reasonable option.

That new PSA/Toolcraft bcg will go in a 17 Design billet upper/lower for a 300 pistol, and I still have one new complete Anderson lower with no plans. So I need at least one more BCG and either a spare bolt or spare to BCG to harvest one. I plan on keeping the bolt in hand grip storage of the Windham MPC - a good M4 type "go-to" gun).

Surplus Arms in Montana, nitrided one for $70 delivered ($55 + tax and shipping):

https://www.surplusammo.com/product...-5-56-300aac-complete-bolt-carrier-group.html

Combat Armory in MI, similar but with phosphated bolt, $59 delivered (no tax and free shipping):

https://www.combatarmory.com/combat...-mil-spcc-bolt-carrier-group-made-in-the-usa/
Those are excellent prices. I might grab a couple.

I am guessing the PSA shipping issue is a newer thing? I have seen other people mention that. I used to do a lot of business w/them years back (I had a firearms side business back that long ago) and don't ever recall issues - and I was placing orders multiple times a month. I haven't ordered anything w/them in at least five years or longer, though.

You mean they don't ship for 3+ weeks?
PSA has gotten terrible with shipping. I won't use them anymore because of it. Waiting 3 weeks for something to ship out of their building is ridiculous. I've gotten stuff shipped from China faster.

No one else in the shooting sports industry is that lackluster when it comes to shipping. CDNN Sports and Natchez do as much or more business, and they both ship within hours.

That's a good deal. Nickel Boron coated BCG's have really come down in price over the last few years. I really like the fact they clean up so easily. And the natural lubricity of Nickel Boron also helps. They look good too.

Toolcraft bolts went up to $180ish for "NIB" during the pandemic. Before that they only went on sale after the big build up into 2016. Shortly after the 2016 event, most all parts, reloading, and ammo was liquidated, and the cheapest price clearances I had seen for a decade. $99.99 was the lowest price I've ever seen for this BCG.

Toolcraft supposedly makes pretty much everyone's Bolt Carries, and a lot of actual complete BCG's for other top brand BCG's. They will engrave anyone's logo on them. PSA's Shot peened, MPI, HPT bolts are said to be Toolcraft.

Fail Zero does the coating for Toolcraft, and Fail Zero is said to be top tier for NIB coating.

Toolcraft also has the contract with the U.S. government for any and all M16/M4 Bolt replacements. OfCourse they don't make any replacements for the HK/416.

I bought one of each to back up my my back up, 4 levels deep redundancy.

Usually with PSA I polish their BCG's so they are slick as water on ice, but we will see with these.

lol, not really. I have 3 Toolcraft NIB's, 4 Spikes NIB, and not sure about PSA's, maybe 4 or 5, and a few Stag's. Oh, 1 Armalite double lapped National match BCG and 20" S.S. Match barrel.

Does anyone ever see any good deals on bolts (only)?

I wouldn't mind picking up an extra quality one or two. Not so much re: price, but portability. I have a spare bcg but a bolt, the 99% failure point, with rings and a pin to ride in the grip storage would be nice.

I have not looked for any for a long time, I think the last time I saw Bolt assy's only was at PSA. They may have been as low as 29.99 for 9310, MPI, like the one pictured a few post's up. Bolt's by themselves usually cost $40/50 bucks.

The thing to remember about bolt carrier groups, is most are made by just a few manufacturers for the entire industry.

Yea, what he said^

This is the conclusion most people arrive at. Just buying a complete BCG.

I am guessing the PSA shipping issue is a newer thing? I have seen other people mention that. I used to do a lot of business w/them years back (I had a firearms side business back that long ago) and don't ever recall issues - and I was placing orders multiple times a month. I haven't ordered anything w/them in at least five years or longer, though.

They had a backlog on shipping many years ago, now the built uppers are delayed because they have not Assembled them before they are sold online, but they are much faster now on Assembled uppers.

Back