Tool for stubborn wiring connectors ?

What do people use for un-clipping stubborn wiring connectors on vehicles ? I've seen people use regular pliers but if you put just a little too much force on them, you're likely to crack the connector. Others use those long-nose pliers typically with curved ends or tips. Are there tools more specific to this application ? This is for DIY work and not something used daily, weekly, or even monthly so I won't spend $30, $40, or more for something like this.

blow any debris away from the connector with brakleen and compressed air. Sometimes you can get in with a pick to lift the lock tab, other times pliers. There are some tools sold for certain connectors, cant say I have ever had much success with them

I need to replace the fan control module on my G35 and there's (3) connectors. There's next to no slack on the wiring so I have to work at the angle they're in and minimal space/clearance. These are the push-in type, not the lift-up tab type. They don't "push in" much at the moment so they're likely full of debris at this point... It was also cold out and I wasn't too motivated right then ! 😁

I have also struggled with various connectors and never found a tool that worked well. The most effective approach for me is to push the connector together first to relieve some of the tension on the tab, then press the tab and pull pull the connector apart.

I use this tool for the pull up tab type of connectors and use whatever I can on the push in type. 13120 Electrical Connector Separator | Lisle Corporation
I’ve got a version of that from a different brand. I have yet to find a connector that it works well on. :( I must be using it wrong. What applications are you using it for?

ive always resorted to variants of different pliers, a pocket screwdriver, and occasional profanity when dealing with stubborn connectors.

Recently I bought these:

They really aren’t that great, and they don’t work any better than using hose clamp pliers. Shorter length though, which does make them more nimble than the standard hose clamp pliers When there are all sorts of other hoses and other wires in the way.

if someone could just make something to keep pressure on a tab to give me 2 hands to use a pocket screwdriver to pry apart the connector that would be great.

I’ve got a version of that from a different brand. I have yet to find a connector that it works well on. :( I must be using it wrong. What applications are you using it for?

ive always resorted to variants of different pliers, a pocket screwdriver, and occasional profanity when dealing with stubborn connectors.
It works well for the connectors where you have one tab that has to be pulled up and over a small post to disconnect. It's not meant for the connectors where you have to squeeze one of two tabs in to release.

It works well for the connectors where you have one tab that has to be pulled up and over a small post to disconnect. It's not meant for the connectors where you have to squeeze one of two tabs in to release.
thanks, I’m think I know what style you’re talking about, and I’ll gotta keep that in mind next time.

Can you post a photo?

If it’s easily accessible, perhaps take a heat gun to it before messing with it if you’re afraid of breaking it.

The tool shown above (kinda looks like tweezers) would probably work well on that type of connector (the Swpeet 36Pcs linked one). That's not the type that I'm dealing with in this case though. It's the type you have to push IN to release. You'd think they'd be pretty easy but 10+ years of road debris gets into the craziest places !

Get some Kroil or WD40 and bend the straw to try and reach into the body, give it a couple days and remember that wiggling is your friend. Be patient, I am the veteran of many Volkswagen connectors over the years and it took a decade for me to learn how NOT to break some of them while taking apart. Chrysler has the easiest and best connectors imo.

It seems like on many connectors, especially ones that you're trying to disconnect partially 'blind', you actually push in the wrong spot to release. It certainly doesn't help when they're dirty enough that you can't feel if it's the right tab too.

Get some Kroil or WD40 and bend the straw to try and reach into the body, give it a couple days and remember that wiggling is your friend. Be patient, I am the veteran of many Volkswagen connectors over the years and it took a decade for me to learn how NOT to break some of them while taking apart. Chrysler has the easiest and best connectors imo.
+1 on the WD40. Don't talk to me about VW connectors almost every one of them I work on has broken connectors. I keep all the connector bodies and pins on hand.
A good pin tools sorts the job out with ease and a bad one makes the job an unnecessary PITA. The ones from Hazet and Stahlwille are the best I have used, not cheap though but cheaper than the OE tool which I believe is Stahlwille in Euro anyway.

It warmed up enough today (before it started snowing) and I finally got around to exchanging the part with the stubborn connectors. I used a combination of fingers, fingernails, flat-blade screwdrivers, and plastic trim tools... When I finally got the push-in tabs worked loose, which took repeated presses while you could hear the dirt underneath the tabs crunching (!! 😁 ), I was able to slowly work them apart. On all (3), dirt fell out of each one along with a cloud of dust !! I am not kidding.

As said above: When you grab an unfamiliar connector, "is it a lift tab or a push-in kinda tab or something completely new?" It really helps to know which way and what part to apply force to. Going to a different manufacturer can also be puzzling.
I've looked up parts in catalogs in hope of seeing a connector
I use "old fashioned" silicone spray to loosen connectors. WD-40 would be next on my list.
I thought of that one from those Saab "pull the side away" cam lock connectors. Those REALLY NEEDED the silicone's lube properties.

Gotta say this: Bring a small flashlight and even a mirror to this party.

Last edited:
Back