Took your advice... It didn't work

I own a 1997 Olds LSS with a 3.8 Series II non SC engine. I was told that if I switched to a PF52 (larger filter for this car) that I could increase my oil fill to 5 quarts. When I tried this my dipstick registered 1/2 quart over. (?) I'm not complaining. Just pointing it out.

My mother's 98 Z34 Monte Carlo has your exact same engine 3.8L Series II and I use the PF52 equivalent oversize filter and 5 quarts put it exactly on the full line. Maybe you didn't get all the oil out of the pan. If I jack my mother's car 24" in the air which is how high my jack goes I will get a 1/4 qt more to drain out of the oil pan.

Easto

1. Yes, it was a full size filter i.e. larger that the stock filter. 2. I understand. The mechanic also said it may be due to buildup in the engine. I kinda doubt #2. It was measured on flat ground. I'm sure everything was drained (I watched) but to be on the safe side I'm doing it myself next time. Thanks for the quick responses, I really enjoy this forum.

According to Wix... Your OEM filter is a 51040: Part Number: 51040 UPC Number: 765809510401 All Applications Style: Spin-On Lube Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 3.404 Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed Thread Size: 18X1.5 MM By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226 The PF52 crosses to a 51036: Part Number: 51036 UPC Number: 765809510364 All Applications Style: Spin-On Lube Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 4.828 Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed Thread Size: 18X1.5 MM By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226 Looks bigger to me...

Easto

I agree. I will be taking a closer look at this at my next oil change (that I will do myself).

quote:
Originally posted by Easto: I agree. I will be taking a closer look at this at my next oil change (that I will do myself).
You did measure AFTER you ran the engine for a few minutes right?....if not, you never filled up the filter. Just making sure you didn't forget this. Rick

I have a car with the same engine, but do not use the PF52 due to clearance concerns. using the PF47 a full change is ~4.5 qts. the 52 is not .5 qt larger in capacity. more like .2 qt larger.

What Got Boost? said. My truck came from the factory with a PF47 and 5qts in a 4.5qt sump. I use PF52 size filters and put in 5 qts. It is still overfull but just not quite as far. I am at 42K now and it does not seem to hurt anything. Oh yea, I got a free change at the dealer and they did the same thing.